Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Videos like that convince me I made the right choice in getting into track riding.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Couldn't tell about the first guy but I saw no reason why that second guy should have done that. Looked like he focused on his buddy and just followed him in. Did you see all the smoothe road to the right on the inside of that turn? When I see wrecks like that, it doesn't bother me for some reason if I can pick a way out or it was clearly thier fault. I don't like watching the ones that were out of your control. Those scare me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sucks to be them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The guy with the camera must have had a bit of target fixation.... he wasn't going fast enough to crash on his own - he followed them in even though he had plenty of room to stay on the road...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The area where they crashed is a section of road with new pavement. Look in the center of the lane just before the new pavement you will see what appears to be sand or gravel in the road (you will also see the orange construction sign on the right). It looks as though the riders hit the gravel and lost control. If you look ahead where the other crashed rider is there is gravel also strewn across the road, probably dragged across by the crashing bike.

·
Registered
585 Posts
galaxy said:
Couldn't tell about the first guy but I saw no reason why that second guy should have done that. Looked like he focused on his buddy and just followed him in. Did you see all the smoothe road to the right on the inside of that turn? When I see wrecks like that, it doesn't bother me for some reason if I can pick a way out or it was clearly thier fault. I don't like watching the ones that were out of your control. Those scare me.
Yes, videos like that affect me in exactly the same way. If it was wholly the riders fault I like to think the I wouldn't do the same thing (emphasis on LIKE). The ones where the rider is purely the victim of circumstance are the ones I don't like to see.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I thought that second rider (there were four total as far as I could see, the one I'm talking about was the first to crash) was going to bite it way before he actually did. He looked squirrly early-on and was not riding very well. Looked as if he was riding beyond his capability trying to keep up. Always a bad move.

The road looked a bit slick on that infamous corner. Notice the camera bike sliding well before he crahshed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Videos like that convince me I made the right choice in getting into track riding.
You mean as relates to risk our skill development? I know you're well aware you can do the same thing just as easily on the track.

I dunno man, that to me was the trailing rider's absence of confidence. There's no apparent reason for him to lowside and it appears he simply fixated on the fwd rider failing to negotiate the turn (for whatever reason) and freaked out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Didn't appear any of them were staying within their lines on the corners (or most of them) and that's a disaster waiting to happen on a public road.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
These folks were pushing harder than anyone should on a public road. Some of those passes were a bit hairy...AND, when your facing traffic moving in the opposite direction trying to pass, you an idiot...

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Kramer said:
I thought that second rider (there were four total as far as I could see, the one I'm talking about was the first to crash) was going to bite it way before he actually did. He looked squirrly early-on and was not riding very well. Looked as if he was riding beyond his capability trying to keep up. Always a bad move.

I agree. Where was this taken, in England somewhere?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Certainly not England.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Not England but definately not in the States.

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
I´m guessing France or maybe Germany

Those are the only places I´ve seen that have those arrows painted on the tarmac.

It seems the trailing riders where going too fast for there experience level, but it also seems that they entered a patch of very bad road without much in the way of warning.

Hope everyone is okey..

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I wouldn't have put them at more than 60-70 mph. We have a lot of roads like that where you just get into the swing. Still there were a few moves that I was nervous about.. usually blind corners and overtaking.

Going back over that last scene I'd lay my left nut that they ALL went down. There is a bloke standing on the road about 20 yds further up plus one on the right just as camera guy went down. The road seemed to definately have new loose road surface laid. I don't know if they do this in the states but we often get some new roads where they spray a thick layer of tar then spread blue chip over the top, THEN they let the cars mash it all together. There is nothing scarier than finding up to an inch of blue chip in the middle of your lane, your bike walks around a lot. Imagine riding your bike in the loose stuff on the edge of a dirt road.

Just for my money, the speed they were travelling prior wasn't excessive, but the road condition was the undoing. I didn't notice any 'roadworks' signs until JUST before the surface change.. RHS about 5 yds before the change. There looked like a 50kmh sign before the corner, they did look over that speed. The camera guy spots the trouble and stands the bike up, you can see him jump on the brakes, I think I heard it lock the wheel but it was all too late.

Just my 95 cents... Let the flames begin !!! LOLZZ

Mal

Hey wanted to ask.. early on there is a kinda squeak on his downshifts.. do Slipper clutches make a noise like that or a noise at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Rule number 1 - Never speed (on a twisty road you're not familar with. )

They should have sent a scout first before their spirited run. The odd would have been better for them.

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
John said:
Kramer said:

I agree. Where was this taken, in England somewhere?
Crap, I forgot about the wrong side of the road driving. Man, those pain pills again!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
level7 said:
Rule number 1 - Never speed (on a twisty road you're not familar with. )

They should have sent a scout first before their spirited run. The odd would have been better for them.

I'd have to guess that between one Sunday and the next on your planet they don't ever do roadworks. I'd also guess they never leave roadworks partially finished. Geeze I remember going to work one morning and by the afternoon there was a roundabout built for the drive home.

I watched it a few more times last night and I doubt many people faced with the same situation would havedone much different.

Mal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts