Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my SS back together, I wasn't too positive about how tight the steering head should be. Anyone have a resource or trick to knowing how tight to get that sucker?

Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
What I do is tighten just enough so that if you have the front wheel off the ground and nudge the handlebar lightly to one side it should slowly fall to that side. But not completely flop over and make a loud noise. This probably doesnt help much but anyway I always go on the slightly looser setting as its so easy to over torque these.

·
Registered
896 Posts
what i do is tighten just enough so that if you have the front wheel off the ground and nudge the handlebar lightly to one side it should slowly fall to that side. But not completely flop over and make a loud noise. This probably doesnt help much but anyway i always go on the slightly looser setting as its so easy to over torque these.
+1

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Need to find a way to get the front wheel off the ground without my triple tree front stand... hmmm.

·
comrade moderator
27,149 Posts
Getting that adjustment just right is a bitch! When you snug the top nut it tightens the bearings just a little more, so you have to adjust them a smidge loose and try to guess how much tighter the nut will make them...good luck!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I've changed 3 bikes to AllBalls in the past year. All with great results.
After over-greasing them, I lightly torque them just until I feel them starting to bind, flop the wheel back and forth several times and then back off until there's no resistance. After a ride, I check it again and usually have to tighten it up 1/8 -1/4 to make it perfect.
They always make a noticeable difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts