Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 50k kilometres on it now, and am just noticing some clunking in the front end when I get on the brakes. Sure enough, I jacked the front up and there's a bit of play in the steering head.
I've got the manual, LT Snyders book etc but thought I'd just ask members here if anyone's already done this.
First option is to tighten up the slotted adjuster in the centre of the top clamp, yeah?
Then if that fails, replace the bearings.
Any special tools required, tip, tricks?
What type of bearing to replace the old ones with?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
You will be able to take out the slop, but the question is: are they notched. If, after tightening them, you find that they are notchy, then you must replace them.

To check for notchiness after you adjust them, you will want to check them with the front wheel off. The weight of the front wheel can disguise the notching.

You want to replace them with tapered roller bearings. In the States, All-Balls is a good supplier, but there may be someone better for you downunder.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
629 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries mate, thanks for the tip.
Beats my original plan of a dirty big screwdriver in the slot.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just did this, it was easy with one of those adjustable angle grinder spanners.
There was no way to get the torque wrench on it so I just nipped it up until the slop was gone then eased back a hair so there wasn't a heap of tension on the bearings.
It made a big difference to the handling. Feels like new now.

Gotta do more of my own maintenance. I kept my old GT750 bevel running back in the day so this bike can't be too hard. I used to spend most Saturdays tuning/repairing and Sunday riding. Sunday night a quick fix of anything that broke or fell off during the ride. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Doin it right pays off ....

I've got 50k kilometres on it now, and am just noticing some clunking in the front end when I get on the brakes. Sure enough, I jacked the front up and there's a bit of play in the steering head.
I've got the manual, LT Snyders book etc but thought I'd just ask members here if anyone's already done this.
First option is to tighten up the slotted adjuster in the centre of the top clamp, yeah?
Then if that fails, replace the bearings.
Any special tools required, tip, tricks?
What type of bearing to replace the old ones with?
Couple of things you ought to consider ... 1st - when ball bearings get mashed for 50k especially when there is play it tends to squash the bearings and damage the races so just retightening may not be the solution . Caged ball bearings, in my opinion are inferior and why Ducati continues to use em I 'll never get . A superior set up are tapered roller bearings which can be had from Speedy Moto http://www.speedymoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BR 2nd - using a spanner obviously does not allow you to tighten the steering head nut to the recommended torque (in your case 30nm or 22 ft lbs) ... too loose and you damage the bearings and races and the deadly speed wobble comes into play ...too tight and you damage the bearings AND races and you can get into trouble in a slow maneuvers (kinda like having a steering damper too tight) ...you can get this handly little steering head tightening tool on ebay (I have one ) for about $15 (usd) and it works great ! ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260422252880&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BR ) Swapping out your beat up ball bearings is easy and can be done in about 3hrs taking your time. The races tap out quite easily and once the tapered rollers are packed with grease, steering head is re-installed and lightly snugged down , front end reassembled with front wheel on the ground I usually overtighten the steering head nut by about 5 ftlbs to ensure they are well seated then back the nut off and retighten to 30nm. Recheck the torque after your first ride and Bob's your Uncle ! Any job worth doing is worth doing right :0) good luck with your maintenance program !! Muzzmann

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I realise just tightening up the slack isn't the end of it.
As soon as I notice any more play I'll get some needle bearings and swap them over.
Thanks for the excellent advice muzzman and the links to the parts, it's well appreciated.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I made my own tool, but just ordered the one on eBay earlier today. Can't beat the price! I plan on swapping out to the tapered bearings in the near future. I repacked my ball bearings a while back and couldn't believe how cheap they looked, the cage is plastic. Only issue for me now is that my fork bushings have quite a bit of play in them now also, I can move the lowers back and forth with the front in the air, so...a new fork is on the agenda as well.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Ur Welcome

I realise just tightening up the slack isn't the end of it.
As soon as I notice any more play I'll get some needle bearings and swap them over.
Thanks for the excellent advice muzzman and the links to the parts, it's well appreciated.

Bly,
You are welcome! I am sure you would do the same ! I just trashed my crappy stock 07 SC front end for one I had fabbed and put together ... have a look ! http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=70159

Muzzmann

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Stock SC front end begone !

I made my own tool, but just ordered the one on eBay earlier today. Can't beat the price! I plan on swapping out to the tapered bearings in the near future. I repacked my ball bearings a while back and couldn't believe how cheap they looked, the cage is plastic. Only issue for me now is that my fork bushings have quite a bit of play in them now also, I can move the lowers back and forth with the front in the air, so...a new fork is on the agenda as well.
Dietrich ,

Here is the one I put together for mine ....http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=70159....I have a couple of complete Stock front ends kickin around if you need one or I can put together one like the post above for you if you really wanna spend some $$ ..... :0)

Whatever you do dont keep riding with that front end in such bad shape ... i will sell you a stock replaceement CHEAP ...just so's you are safe ... I will even rebuild so it will last you ....

MuzzMann

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Whatever you do dont keep riding with that front end in such bad shape ... i will sell you a stock replaceement CHEAP ...just so's you are safe ... I will even rebuild so it will last you ....

MuzzMann
Thanks man! I really appreciate it. I just stay loose for now and ride it out....:cool: :D I really want to go with something adjustable, so hesitant to put any money into it until I can afford something better. In time....and I'll keep your offers in mind.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bly,
You are welcome! I am sure you would do the same ! I just trashed my crappy stock 07 SC front end for one I had fabbed and put together ... have a look ! http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=70159

Muzzmann

Yeah I was checkin that out before. Nice work mate.

You thinking of selling those triple clamps? Not that I'm in the market right now but who knows in the future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts