Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, have a few questions regarding the steering dampers...

Which damper is a better one... the rotary of the "usual" tube style? What can you say about the Bitubo dampers? Are they any better or worse than the Ohlins or Scotts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i have a top mount kyle racing ohlins and it works really good/before that i had the dp dampner and it was a piece of poop.the ohlins rotary dampner seems to really well i have one on my supermoto bike and liked it very much in pretty severe conditons.i believe hyperpro has just came out with one for the hyper check with annatori dist.they are a forum sponsor...i had a hyperpro on my 2007 1098s and liked the range of adjustment on the unit.theres my two cents on the question hope it helps.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Anyone have a good explanation of what the damper actually does? I've never had one. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Anyone have a good explanation of what the damper actually does? I've never had one. Thanks!
Think of it as a shock absorber, is slows down the handlebar movement, which can make for a more comfortable less twitchy ride, It can also under the right circumstance, help control the dreaded "tank slapper!" :eek: on our Hyper's this is a good thing. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
377 Posts
I do feel the tank slap quite a bit on acceleration. I was wondering if the damper would correct that.

Thanks Alex!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi guys, have a few questions regarding the steering dampers...

Which damper is a better one... the rotary of the "usual" tube style? What can you say about the Bitubo dampers? Are they any better or worse than the Ohlins or Scotts?

Thanks.
I have used scotts and gpr. Scotts is the way to go, I have one on my hyper and love it. I am less confident without it.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
on deceleration, entering a turn... I feel like the steering likes to "close" quite strongly... don't like that effect, and wondering if the damper would help there.

on acceleration, the front tire on my super-modded 105hp-at-the-wheel is consistently so high off the ground it just wouldn't make a difference now would it? :D

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I do feel the tank slap quite a bit on acceleration. I was wondering if the damper would correct that.

Thanks Alex!
before you start with the damper, try having your suspension set up. I have never felt the need for a damper on the hyper. I have the typical mods done like ECU, box, 2-1, etc. I accelerate quite hard often too.

I've had several track coaches urge riders during track days to loosen up their dampers because if you have them cranked down, you are applying all of that force into the chassis. It is better to move around a little bit to get rid of that energy, rather than apply is to the frame and upset the chassis.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
A damper can transmit the energy to the chassis? Interesting but I don't see that happening. If there is enough energy to make the chassis have issues (assuming it can actually be transmitted through the damper) then the last thing you need is for the damper to be looser because you'll be on your ass...

Now - having them too tight is bad for sure, but more because you're masking what the bike is actually doing. I like the Scott's because it works hard the more it moves off to the sides and is pretty neutral in the center. You can feel the bike without having it too muted and still have the damping you need if things go bad.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Sigh.....again? GPR - lifetime warranty, lifetime servicing, made in USA(California), and it freakin' works.
I've owned Ohlins telescopic, Scotts(Ohlins) rotary, HyperPro, and Storz. GPR is by far - the best stabilizer I have ever owned. Done.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Sorry but at this point I've known way too many people with GPR issues. They're great and I agree with the US made - but so are Pit-Bulls and Scotts and neither have the leaking or air bubble problems the GPR's were (haven't heard about it recently) prone to.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have had the same Scotts damper on 4 different dirtbikes that I have been racing (i just buy the different mount) and never had a problem with it.
All I have done is changed the oil twice.
There truly are bullet proof.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Thanks Alex!
You could always hold on a little less tightly and steering would self correct...is it me or why haven't I had a tank slapper too? Slight twitches and wobbles but no big side to sidey slapper...which in English could be rude..

·
Registered
545 Posts
Anyone using a damper to 'smooth out the steering' or 'tighten the bars up' in normal driving is using it wrong. That's not their purpose and,if you have it that tight you're actually doing nothing more than slowing down your steering, perhaps dangerously so.

The role of the damper is not to deal with moderate forces. It is to deal with sharp, intense forces that are outside of your suspension's capability to handle and to stop them from being transmitted up through the bars to the rider.

Most riders just need to get their suspension set up right, loosen their grip on the bars, and they'll be fine. If you're not riding in a manner likely to get a true 'tankslapper', you're wasting your money on bling. If you're constantly riding fast on bumpy roads or tracks, or landing high speed wheelies hard, by all means put a damper on. If not, you'd be better off spending that money elsewhere.

They do look cool though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a Scotts

freezer16801 is totally correct: If you set up your suspension with the correct sag/preload for your weight and then work on the damping you will be there. When I first took delivery the bike started shaking its head at 75 MPH, a trip back to the dealer showed up a loose rear wheel, the PDI guy got a kick in the ***s for that one, I should be looking for loose wheel(s) when taking delivery??? (guess so--won't make that mistake again!!!) So thye shake now moves up to 85 MPH, which I can live with while breaking in the machine, but I ordered the Scotts damper (which they make for Olins), bolt it on and now my shake appears at 100 MPH, but sorta in slow motion, very scary.

I went to a suspension school and learned the nits and grits of rake, trail, damping and ride height, I also got the not so subtle message that the HYM was not designed for a rider of my height/weight (6'1" 235) so I have to live with some compromises.

I opted for a bit more trail by making my forks flush with the triple clamps and have been able to push the HYM to speeds well over 100 MPH without head shake. The Scotts is almost a passenger at this point, but I know if I hit rough road it's available.

And BTW if you don't think the energy a steering damper absorbs isn't transmitted to the chassis just look where it is anchored...

RS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts