Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my new steering damper.

Much nicer when leaned over on bad pavement.

Tom

·
Registered
406 Posts
Must have one!

WOW, Very cool application. Seems as though all the parts are well thought out and very clean install.

Sooooo.... Is that a kit? Or did you have to fab parts yourself?

Tell us where you got the bits!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Very nice Tom, :yeah:

I was thinking of adding one of those to my ST2 but was concerned it wouldn't fit because I had 1/2" aluminum bar risers and figured it wouldn't line up with the added bar height mounting surface. I'm having Helibars installed this spring in place of the bar riser blocks and I noticed your damper looks fine with the Helibars. The damper mount also fits around the ignition switch...right? Any fitting issues I should know about? One more question...if you don't mind me asking...how much $$$ for the goods? :D

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a kit from Ducati,

Carbon cross-mounted steering damper kit SKU code #966132AAA

A freined of mine in Italy is a wholesaler, and when he gets a special offer on something I might be interested in, he lets me know, which is why I've ended up with a few things that I don't 'need', but bought anyway, like a CF full fairing for my SS, an almost full CF fairing for the ST2 (didn't have the nose-section available), and TWO steering dampers for the SS (I'll figure which I like better, and sell the other).

I had to make one alteration to the kit, because of the clip-ons I use. The aluminum mount for the damper that bolts to the black piece that is attached to the ignition mount has been shifted 12mm left by drilling and tapping two new holes in the black piece. I also needed to clearance the key-surround, and used a couple different bolts for mounting the black piece as I didn't need the antenna adapter (which is included for bikes with immobilisers) and wanted a cleaner installation.

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
st2lemans said:
It's a kit from Ducati,

Carbon cross-mounted steering damper kit SKU code #966132AAA

I had to make one alteration to the kit, because of the clip-ons I use. The aluminum mount for the damper that bolts to the black piece that is attached to the ignition mount has been shifted 12mm left by drilling and tapping two new holes in the black piece. I also needed to clearance the key-surround, and used a couple different bolts for mounting the black piece as I didn't need the antenna adapter (which is included for bikes with immobilisers) and wanted a cleaner installation.

Tom
Thanks Tom, that helps out. It seems I'll have to do some alteration as well to mount it up to my ST (with Helibars). I currently have a lot on my plate as far as new goodies going on to my ST2 this year. It looks as though this one may have to wait awhile longer. Thanks again for sharing the info.

Thomas

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why a steering damper on an ST?

The ST bikes have fuller fairings, more of a front end rake, etc.

I was always under the impression that a steering damper actually slows down steering under normal conditions, thus making steering response slower. This obviously is due to the damper actually being a shock absorber, and valved to fight against movement.

The only time a damper would be needed would be when the bike has enough HP on initial acceleration to lift the wheel enough to cause headshake. That plus on very bumpy roads.

Am I off base in my thinking?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
jh225 said:

The only time a damper would be needed would be when the bike has enough HP on initial acceleration to lift the wheel enough to cause headshake. That plus on very bumpy roads.
Because I get headshake when the front lifts during hard acceleration, and it's much more stable when leaned over on less than perfect pavement, particulary with a passenger and/or lots of baggage.

And I have LOTS of added ride height.

Tom

·
Registered
602 Posts
jh225 said:

Am I off base in my thinking?
I'm not sure if your necessarily off base but my way of thinking was to increase stability of the front end on the poorly maintained and repaired roads here in New England where I live. It is not unusual to be riding down the highway at a good rate of speed (70-80mph) to suddenly come upon an entire slab of grooved pavement that may last for miles from repair work (I.95 recently had this work done in MA). Yes there are signs posted to warn you about such things but the potholes and cracks in the roads here are also abundant...at least in Massachusetts anyway! New Hampshire does a far superior job in maintaining it's roads but one significant road irregularity that sneaks up on you can cause a bit of the dreaded front wobble.

Even if it's a slight wobble from the tire following a road fissure, it make me feel a bit uneasy despite the fact that I'm an experienced rider and can keep my machine stable enough to get out of it. So again, my way of thinking was that a damper would reduce the risk/amount of front end wobble on bad roads since cornering is done by primarily leaning anyway. I could be wrong though, any thoughts? Finally, I don't think a steering damper on my ST is a necessity but a nice added piece to improve performance and maybe a bit of bling factor which is why it's not top on my list of add-ons.

PS...A few years ago my wife and I suddenly came across a grooved slab at 70+ mph with cross-winds coming off the White Mountains of NH on I.93. I held the handlebars with a sturdy death grip as the bike wallowed through it with a very frightening wobbly frontend feel (my bike was new and tight). I thought my wife was going to piss her pants and never throw her leg over my bike again. She still ride with me at times but likes to remind my of the dreaded event!

Regards,

Thomas

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
OK, so I thought I'd revive this ancient thread. I bought one of the Ducati Performance steering dampers from victorysnc that we all discussed this last year: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/101448-ebay-italy-st-parts.html As expected, the service was great, the shipping bill was off the charts (about $60 for a dinky box), but the item arrived boxed up in a standard DP plastic box, with adequate instructions.

I have CycleCat bars - lucky enough to get the last pair that OnCycles had in stock - and I had been running FBF 3/8" risers (they said 1/2" - not) under them just to see if there was any difference. I mounted the damper per instructions over all of this, but the FBF risers set the bars too high, and interfered with the right turn ability, because they collided with the damper arm that is connected to the tank and against which the damper works. I removed the riser plates, and adjusted the bars out a bit, so that the arm could clear the bars. (actually glad I did - I like them better this way)

The first picture below shows the installed damper from the rider's perspective, and the second shows the very small clearance between the bars and the arm, taken after I got it all adjusted and copacetic.

Why do all this? Many in the past voice the opinion that an ST doesn't need a steering damper if the suspension is well set up, and if there are no head bearing problems. I had my suspension entirely redone and set up professionally by ECS in Middletown NY, and I had already changed out the rusted, totally worthless OEM bearings for a set of LT's roller taper bearings.

So far so good, but I wanted to see if a steering damper could help, not to keep tank slappers from happening (although that is not an incidental item, as one of my friends on a 900SS got tossed that way), but in order to deal with the intermittent road surface irregularities. Tom had reported great success with his in Europe, and Max had good luck in Virginia, so I thought that I might be able to find success in New England.

I've about 2K miles on the dingus now, and can report it is one of the best investments I every made in the ST. Rain grooves? I don't pay any attention to any stinkin' rain grooves! :cool: Now holes in the pavement at the apex of a diminishing radius corner, pavement seams, repaving claw marks, all of these are slight annoyances rather than looming threats to my life and limb. Highly recommended. :)

Ron

Attachments

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shortened the arm on mine, as it was fouling my clip-ons that I have mounted on Heli-bar adapters.

I forget how much, but I may be able to check.

Tom

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I have ridden alot of miles and never ridden a bike with a steering damper. What's it do to the ST as far as handling?

Karl
Have you read the thread or just the title , seems all the information you want is already there ?

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked last night, 13mm-1/2".

I drilled and threaded two new holes in the mounting plate (toward the clutch-lever side of the bike), so that I could ues the OEM holes in the arm, and then cut the arm shorter.

The damper has a movable clamp around it, so no problem.

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts