Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a number of years ago, perhaps in the late 90's and early 2000's, some sport bike manufacturers, including Ducati IIRC, were using the "radial" top mounted steering dampers like you still see sold by Ohlins and Scotts for dirt bikes. To the best of my knowledge, I have not seen one of those on a sport or street bike for quite some time and neither company seems to offer them today even as an aftermarket piece for anything other than MX or enduro bikes. Is that something that just didn't work on street or track bikes and if so, why?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
GPR Stabilizer makes one for the sport classic. Gprstabilizer.com , they did it for a guy I met here is San Diego, they are based here. He likes his. It's on the website still. Does not have the old school look of the wasp unit... I thought about trying it and stripping it down to brushed aluminum...would help the looks some. They have about 5 pics of it on a red GT on the site. The red GT is the guy's I met they did the custom bracket for. Would love to hear how anyone else likes it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
IMHO it looks fugly and out of place... but... as they say to each their own. I'm sure it's quite light but gee its looks hefty. Any weight spec on it out of curiosity?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GPR Stabilizer makes one for the sport classic. Gprstabilizer.com , they did it for a guy I met here is San Diego, they are based here. He likes his. It's on the website still. Does not have the old school look of the wasp unit... I thought about trying it and stripping it down to brushed aluminum...would help the looks some. They have about 5 pics of it on a red GT on the site. The red GT is the guy's I met they did the custom bracket for. Would love to hear how anyone else likes it.
I like the "under the bar" application for the Hypermotard, but that would likely require taller risers and some mods on the GT which would not be the end of the world. The standard type top mount damper looks okay on the SC, but IMO, the Wasp version for the GT looks a little clunky and jury rigged with that "extra" riser on top.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like the "under the bar" application for the Hypermotard, but that would likely require taller risers and some mods on the GT which would not be the end of the world. The standard type top mount damper looks okay on the SC, but IMO, the Wasp version for the GT looks a little clunky and jury rigged with that "extra" riser on top.
I agree, love the wasp unit on the S1, but that extra bracket for the GT is a bit off-putting. The side mounts for the GT look the best to my eye..so many threads on this... and i still cant decide which one to get...

Had my first "head shake" on my GT about a month ago, surprised me, went away when i let up on the bar pressure...coming out of a slow turn got on the gas, not bad pavment, too much forward wieght on the bars... So, I am also looking at dampers, light wheels, and forks again. Gee, for about $7,000.00 i should be all good, ha-ha. Slowly...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, love the wasp unit on the S1, but that extra bracket for the GT is a bit off-putting. The side mounts for the GT look the best to my eye..so many threads on this... and i still cant decide which one to get...

Had my first "head shake" on my GT about a month ago, surprised me, went away when i let up on the bar pressure...coming out of a slow turn got on the gas, not bad pavment, too much forward wieght on the bars... So, I am also looking at dampers, light wheels, and forks again. Gee, for about $7,000.00 i should be all good, ha-ha. Slowly...
I wonder wet Wasp didn't just fabricate a bracket that would replace the top part of the clamp? It seems like they almost did that anyway and from what I read, some machining of the existing clamp is required anyway to install that less than elegant setup. part of my question may have been that these radial type dampers were touted as the latest and greatest going and apparently still are in the off-road community and are apparently still used in road racing applications. Was it the ugly, intrusive looks that killed them in the street bike world or just that they weren't the drastic improvement over the standard type damper that they were supposed to be?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts