Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Todd at WASP just confirmed that they no longer offer a steering damper TMSD kit (top mount steering damper).

Anyone know of available options? Is there any benefit of a top mounted versus a frame-to-fork option apart from cosmetics?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Would you mind sharing how much you paid for yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For a Sport 1000 I was quoted $688 to $775 depending if you want the Bitubo or Ohlins damper. More if you get parts anodized in specific colors. Contact JC for specifics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks LEXngton. Did the damper make much difference to your ride? Why did you buy a damper (head shake??) Did it sort the problem? Did you try anything else in addition?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I have bi-tubo tmsd, works well, got it as I had lowered the forks a bit and it smoothed things out as it got a bit twitchy at speed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is an example of how the steering damper mounts on the top yoke. I have the ohlins setup. Got it from JCP about two years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
You may or may not like the look of it, but GPR Stabilizers has a fit kit for the GT and the Sport 1000. Just FYI in case you needed another option.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thanks LEXngton. Did the damper make much difference to your ride? Why did you buy a damper (head shake??) Did it sort the problem? Did you try anything else in addition?
I bought the WASP TMSD with ohlins for less than $500 about a decade ago and it's the best mod you can do to your bike. It won't fix the shitty stock suspension but it will remove head shake and tank-slap that results from hitting any bumps with the bouncy stock forks.

worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Honestly I didn’t have any issues with steering or handling of my 2006 SC. Maybe that’s because I upgraded to a Andreani front kit and Marchesini wheels but feel you can never rule out a occasional tank slapper. Got all black anodized Bitubo. Looks good and I’m glad I spent the money for peace of mind if nothing else.

6,043 Posts
I'd start with the Andreani or Bitubo Fork internals.
We offer them along with color and surface treatment upgrades
JC PAK Bikes Andreani conversion. TiN Slider Black Lowers Gold Uppers

http://jcpakbikes.com/willisgoldupgrade/source/image/img_1348.jpg

Honestly I didn’t have any issues with steering or handling of my 2006 SC. Maybe that’s because I upgraded to a Andreani front kit and Marchesini wheels but feel you can never rule out a occasional tank slapper. Got all black anodized Bitubo. Looks good and I’m glad I spent the money for peace of mind if nothing else.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I apologize to bump this old thread but I was not getting a clear answer so here it goes. Is a Steering Damper really an essential upgrade for our Sport Classic's or not?
Being that said what Steering Damper is this? I have seen it on a couple of GT pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
It is not an essential item. Nor is it necessarily an upgrade. There was several discussions back in the day about them so there will be plenty of opinions.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hi,

I had a steering damper on my GT, because a, all the scare stories of people being thrown off or getting tank slappers and b, I was experiencing a lot of handlebar shake over bumps. The damper worked, but even on the softest setting made the steering too stiff so that the bike rolled around in a straight line. After I sorted out the stock forks with an oil change the tendency to slap disappeared, so I removed the damper and dropped the forks through the yokes to give the forks a little more rake. I've never used or needed the damper since.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
After I sorted out the stock forks with an oil change the tendency to slap disappeared, so I removed the damper and dropped the forks through the yokes to give the forks a little more rake. I've never used or needed the damper since.
This, sort out the suspension, get some weight out of the wheels and the need for a damper pretty much goes away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts