Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to do a LOT of track days (8 track days in 3 months) and am starting to run into a few instances where I'd like a steering damper.

One such instance is where my husband just had a VERY nasty high side on his MS4R and ended up completely breaking his femur right below the ball socket and now has 3 pins in his femur holding the ball on as well as a grade 3 separation of the shoulder and a hairline crack in the pelvis. The bike went into a nasty tank slap.

So naturally, I'd like to do what I can to prevent that myself.

I understand that a lot of this is rider preventable, but when out on the track, things tend to happen.

What suggestions do y'all have who have experience on the track?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see that they do infact still make them.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Just to let you know, that Storz damper was on my bike from new, but failed at the beginning of the season last year; I removed it. From my trackday experiences on the SS (Grattan, MI; Mid-Ohio; Nelson Ledges, OH), I didn't think it really needed it. One of keys to avoid any front end wobbles is to transfer your body weight over the front wheel in areas where the front gets light.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I knew that the technique aspect of the conversation would come up.
There's always something that could be done to prevent an accident or a wreck from happening. Always.

However, I'd like to do what I can to prevent it AS WELL AS improve on my technique and skills.

I am not your typical track day junkie in the sense that I just go out and ride as fast as possible. I'm quite the opposite. I spend inordinate amounts of time focusing on technique and skill, both on and off the track.

However, after what happened to my husband, who has been riding for 23 years, I'm interested in doing what I can to prevent it outside of the the technique as well.

Because shit just happens.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Then add one to your bike. It mounts to the right hand side and is pretty much parallel to the top edge of the fairing. It has a thumbwheel adjuster at the end of the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I'm familiar with how they mount.

I really just started this thread to see what options were out there. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts