Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How great is the need for a steering damper on the 1100? I had a sport classic, with a front end that could get somewhat squirrly, although I never had a true tank slapper. I think the steering geometry is close if not similar on both bikes, although the monster has better forks and wheels. Also, I'm not a particulary agressive rider.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
How great is the need for a steering damper on the 1100? I had a sport classic, with a front end that could get somewhat squirrly, although I never had a true tank slapper. I think the steering geometry is close if not similar on both bikes, although the monster has better forks and wheels. Also, I'm not a particulary agressive rider.
Any bike with a combination of lightness and a tendency to loft it's front
hoop will benefit from a steering damper. That tank slapper thing often happens when accelerating off of bumpy surfaces. The wheel rises, returns and the oscillating begins.
I'm planning on installing one on my 1100 S real soon.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm a relatively aggressive rider, and I have done a few track days with the 1100S and I haven't had any problem without one. It does get a touch light when going over pavement imperfections at high speed (talking 115+) but other than that it handles like a dream everywhere else. As long as you are delicate with your inputs at high speed it is no problemo.

Be sure to set the suspension up for your weight and riding though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To follow up on this, in looking at the sport classic forum, it still seems like the headshake issue is a very common issue with those models. Although there a few posts about headshake with the monsters, not very many. Am I correct the problem isn't really widespread with the monsters, like it is with the sport classics?

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you track a damper is worth it. My S4R had a tendency to head wiggle if it got light over rises or coming down lightly from a power shift. Generally Monsters are not to prone to all out head shakers, but when you feel it transfer from the head to the chassis its a little disconcerting. For street riding its real value is to stablize the bike if your're sloppy and bump the handle bar a bit too much while swerving from or hitting a chuck hole. It'll help keep the head from swinging wildly for what ever reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts