Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of deciding whether I want to use steel or aluminum rear sprockets as replacement for the well worn set up on my '10 MTS & stick with a 530 chain or downsize? I keep vacillating back and forth . . . I want the longevity but I also wouldn't mind the loss of weight on the rear wheel by using an aluminum. What have others done and why so?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would stick with steel and the 530 chain personally. I did change my rear sprocket to a quick change setup with poly bushings and I went with a steel sprocket. Still using the OEM chain though as it only had a couple thousand miles on it when I made the change. I went up one tooth at the same time. Probably should have gone up two though and plan on that when I change the chain next time.

From a rider's perspective I'm not sure I could even tell the difference between a steel and an aluminum rear sprocket.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If it's time to replace both sprockets & Chain better go for lightweight front sprocket with Titanium nut ,Rear QuickChange sprocket silicone Cush drives with titanium & Aluminium 525 pitch with 3D 525 QX2 X ring Chain from EK , this will help good amount of rotating mass weight reduction , chain itself loses weight of more than 1/2 lb to 1 lb + balance shld be 2 lb in total =3 lb

·
Registered
448 Posts
Start counting ounces when you think you're close to winning races at the national level. Until then, I'd stick with steel sprockets and the stock chain size.
+1, lol. :grin2:

How many miles are on your 2010? Expect to replace aluminum sprockets much more often than steel. If yours is a starbucks bike with low miles, this might be the way to go. If you're putting on lots of miles, steel will be a bit more sensible.

Seriously, how is this a question? What racing series are you competing in that you're worried about that kind of weight savings? And if you are, wouldn't it make sense to use the racing budget from your sponsors and have them pony up for titanium sprockets? :) On a 500+lb street bike, go for durability / reliability.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
^ you should ask Reddydr that question......then again, ;)

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Count me in the 530/steel/quick change rear camp. Why would you want to do this more often than you absolutely have to at $400 bucks and a half day of your life a round? To save 11 ounces? Better in every possible way to just quit eating donuts.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
If they make a Supersprox for yours, why not ? I never weighed it but my hand said it was lighter and its worn very well.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bike has about 25k on it. I bought it with 17k late last summer and rode it as much as I could. The sprockets & chain are stock so I guess that's a good indicator how well the 530 set up lasts. I'm very much leaning toward that as well, but will go up a couple teeth in the back . . .

·
Registered
665 Posts
bike has about 25k on it. I bought it with 17k late last summer and rode it as much as I could. The sprockets & chain are stock so I guess that's a good indicator how well the 530 set up lasts. I'm very much leaning toward that as well, but will go up a couple teeth in the back . . .

Definitely go up 2 teeth on the back. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1453716353.821598.jpg supersprocket and did chain 525. Still good after 25000km

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
If we wanted to save money we wouldn't be riding Ducatis....

I think the op is asking what is the best bang (maybe not for the money) but for just having the neatest upgrade???
Hey if one is going to do it anyways why not try sumptin that is supposed to be better?
Spend a few $$ more and you have a "different" set up than normal factory offerings.

Changing for the sake of changing and finding that what you did may be better...

Whats the advantages?? and how much of an advantage is it really?

Just like a lightweight battery , does the same basic job but with added weight savings.

Me thinks it is about looks to maybe??
Even if no one else appreciates it, if you like it go for it.
Give the OP some ammo for the Wifey who asks what did you do that for???

Well dear because it makes the bike SOOO much better, because.....

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Good way to go, big return on those two teeth, very popular solution.

·
Registered
273 Posts
only a professional racer should give two shakes about the difference in weight between an aluminum and steel sprocket. But any rider should be interested in the vast durability difference steel has over aluminum.

Go with steel.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Made the mistake trying aluminum on my FZ6, and never will buy aluminum again. It has zero longevity. If weight is a concern, it's easier to lose a few pounds off your body. I'm not too familiar with after market exhaust for the MTS, put what a difference in weight for my FZ6. Must have been a 20lb difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts