Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shopping for clutches on Desmo times yesterday and saw a note of caution not to use aluminum clutch packs on a bike with a steel clutch basket due to premature wear. Apparently the steel baskets came on some of the earlier bikes and turns out my basket is black/steel. If i can find a stock aluminum basket are the parts a direct swap? Any words of advice? Thanks.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
The issue here is that the clutch plates are the wear item, so the plan should be to let the plate fingers suffer the damage instead of the basket.

Hammering the fingers will deform them and as the gap between the fingers and the basket increases the clutch noise gets louder. Not a big deal for most of us. Steel plates are the noisiest.

So to address the question, use the same material or a softer material for the clutch plates. Use aluminum plates with a steel or a steel-insert aluminum basket, use either steel or aluminum plates with a steel basket, or aluminum plates with an aluminum basket.

Rule: Avoid using steel plates with an aluminum basket.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
steel basket

Thanks for the replies. I will run aluminum plates on the steel basket when its time to replace. I don't think the tabs will wear that much faster especially if i flip them at about half life. As was mentioned- these are the wear items anyway.
Related to this- i noticed that i can move my whole basket/plate assembly when i grab it by the end. I wouldn't say its loose but there is some play inf you put a little pressure on it. (up and down, side to side, not in and out) if Does this sound normal? The bearing seems fine. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts