Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed a '99 motor with a 3 phase alternator/regulator into my '93 900ss and spliced it into the wiring harness. Some reason I'm showing 13.7 volts at idle and when increasing RPM.

I checked the resistance between stator wires and found 0.5 ohms between them all.

I checked the stator wires to ground and found no continuity.

I checked the output AC at each stator wire is above 50 AC when the RPM is increased. It was good.

I checked the output of the Regulator and it also is a steady 13.7 volts at all times.

I checked the diodes inside the regulator and the seemed consistent.

Tried separate voltmeters too.

I'm not sure what could be going on. I did notice the regulator seems to get hot quickly though. Any ideas why the volts are not increasing with RPM increases?

The battery sits at 13.1 volts before starting the engine.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The purpose of a regulator is to take from the stator an input voltage that increases with rpm and provide a constant output voltage that avoids overcharging the battery. The Ducati shunt-type regulator sends the excess to ground and consequently gets quite warm. 13.7 volts is normal charging voltage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Change the stock regulator out for a 3phase Mosfet.. Yamaha R1, hardest part is the connectors, runs way cooler...
Home

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems odd to me the voltage isn't rising even to 14 with high RPMs

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay I'll run it like that.

Looking at the tach that came with the '99 motor it has a green and white wire that did run to an ECU. I do not know much about tachs but I was hoping this tach was the type I could run it's signal wire to a coil wire. Does anybody know if it's possible? The tach is from a '99 900ss

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
526 Posts
No, the Tach won't work if you are not using the Injection / ECU. Been there and done that.

You need one for a Carbed Monster, Ducati Performance made one for a while though the Diameter might be too large for the stock SS housing.

I used the Loom and ECU on my '92 SS now ie. The Rev Counter i have is from a Guzzi V11 Sport ca. 1999-2001, thats used the same ECU as the SSie, but looks identical to the stock Carbed SS Rev Counter.

Chris

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have to ask why you do not just use a 99 wiring loom and switch gear? I've done exactly the same conversion and did this. I made things REALLY easy. Oh and I can recommend a lightened flywheel. It really quickens the steering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts