Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a stator that was putting out basically 0 Volts.
I removed the cover and the unit looked fine. I unbolted the stator from the case and there was a broken wire. I fixed the broken wire (I think)
I was wondering if its still bad...There is 0 ohms resistance between the 2 output wires. But, there is no short to ground?
What gives?

Edit * I double checked the resistance I'm at .1 ~.2 Ohm Still low?

·
Premium Member
5,683 Posts
I have a stator that was putting out basically 0 Volts.
I removed the cover and the unit looked fine. I unbolted the stator from the case and there was a broken wire. I fixed the broken wire (I think)
I was wondering if its still bad...There is 0 ohms resistance between the 2 output wires. But, there is no short to ground?
What gives?

Edit * I double checked the resistance I'm at .1 ~.2 Ohm Still low?
There should be minimal resistance between the yellow wires. .2 - .3 Ohms is expected. There should be an open between any yellow wire and ground. Reading that low on a lot of meters is often not so accurate. In the good old days of analogs, my fav the Simpson 260, you'd hold the leads together creating a short and zero the meter to eliminate the leads. These days, not so much. I wouldn't be worried too much about that . 1 to .2 Ohms. If you were reliably getting a dead short, that's not so good. If you trust your repair enough to reassemble and run it, I'd go for it.

Reactions: 2a2gtis

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
If you want to try something before putting it all back together, you can connect your meter to the 2 wires. Take a large magnet, but preferably one that will fit inside, where the rotor would fit.

Make sure meter is on the lowest setting of AC volts. It should read zero. Move magnet into the stator frame area. Rotate it a bit, and watch the meter.

Or even a small magnet. Move it near the inside face of the core and watch the meter. If you see any small voltage when moving the magnet, it's probably OK.

Reactions: 2a2gtis

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have always found this flow chart to be SUPER useful for troubleshooting charging system issues.

Hope it is helpful for this problem or maybe at some point down the line!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Hey Brettski,
If you do want to triple check b4 installing, just go to your most sensitive voltage, AC or DC scale. You're looking for a very small voltage "generated" with a puny magnet. But a coil of wire, magnet, and motion is all you need to produce some. And the laminated steel core helps, too ('cept for ur magnet sticking to it!).

I say this because I just looked at my free HF meter, and the lowest AC voltage range is like 200V !!! You'd be looking for milli volts (maybe micro volts).

What it would tell you is that you can deliver something to the outside terminals.

The meter you really need is a galvenometer. Very sensitive. Very expensive, too!

Best of luck with the repair!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Maybe you could use a dear frog? Straight from Wiki:

The name comes from the Italian electricity researcher Luigi Galvani, who in 1791 discovered the principle of the frog galvanoscope – that electric current would make the legs of a dead frog jerk.

Now that's something I don't recall learning in school!!!

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
That should have been "maybe use a DEAD frog"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts