Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear that there is a european maker of an aftermarket replacement for the one year only 98 stator. Do any of you have information about it? I had to buy a complete engine to get a replacement for mine.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Note that most 1998 ST2 Stators were subject to a recall. A decent dealer needs to verify if the stator mod/recall was performed on your bike by plugging in the VIN# into the DUCATI network that they're on. He can also verify if any other campaigns were needed/done to your bike. A "good" dealer will obtain and install these upgrades for no fee (they bill back to Ducati).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bike is a salvage title bike that had the stator removed before I bought it. in my ignorance, I did not know of the one year only problem. I ended up buying an engine off e-bay to get the replacement. now I have collected a few other parts and would like to get the "spare" engine running. hence the need to find a replacement stator.
for some reason i cannot get anything beyond an information page on the electrexworld link. tried google with the same result. any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Get chummy with your local DUC shop and see if they have an old removed one kicking around. Chances are it's good. Mine was when they did the campain. Even if you can get a "bad" one, maybe get it re-wound?

http://www.dbelectrical.com/ They claim they can re-wind stuff (but they'll probably need the iron core).

Actually you'll be real lucky to nab a 1998 stator. It's the only one that was 420 watts. Other single phase units were 350W. And the new 3 ph. are 520 (and totally different). Not sure if you could get a 350W to bolt in. I guess there's a chance.
Note that the DUC Performance catalog lists a 180W stator for the '98 ST2. This is so that all the rest of the HP goes to the rubber. (I think it's a pittance, because 748W=1hp, so you're talking a fraction of a HP.)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Here are a couple of sources:

Electrex 888-369-8359 or www.electrex-usa.com has stators and regulator rectifiers, they are in CA. For truly oddball, or older stuff, that few people have spares for, they will probably recommend sending it out to be rewound.

I've had several stators re-wound by Rick's Motosport Electrics www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com in NH. 800-521-0277. He also repairs stators for tractors, snowmobiles .... and starters as well. He stands behind his work and is significantly cheaper and quicker than waiting for parts out of Italy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts