Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting a build project. Going to be very long term, buying things as they come available for a good price and I am in no rush. Picked up a very nice titled 95 916 frame to start things off. Going to keep it very stock on the outside, but I will probably fit a 996 engine and wiring. I want to have a mono tail, but preliminary research here brings up some questions. The only mono sub frames I’ve come across are aluminum and are for the P8 ECU. I assume anything can be modded and I could fit a 1.6M with some brackets, but what about the wiring harness? I have found 1.6M rear harnesses for the mono tails where the seller indicates they are longer (because it's for a mono). Does that mean they are long enough to reach a 1.6M fitted to a sub frame made for a P8???

I know a BIP sub frame can be used with mono bodywork, and there are-ass tons of those for sale, wanted to do it with a mono sub frame if feasible though.

Last question… I assume the 95 916 used the P8? I intend to use a 1.6M becuse of the 996 idea and the price/availiblity of the 1.6M.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I know Gotham Cycles has everything you would need.

If you have the engine out and are doing a rebuild I suggest doing a 955 big bore over installing a 996. The engine is out and you can do crank balancing, rods if you want, and have an excellent engine with a better gear box.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If you have the engine out and are doing a rebuild I suggest doing a 955 big bore over installing a 996. The engine is out and you can do crank balancing, rods if you want, and have an excellent engine with a better gear box.
I've been over to Gotham. They have a lot of stuff. Between places like Gotham, here in the market place, CL and eBay, I will put this bike together.

To be clear though, my current list of parts in-hand would be a titled frame and a red air box... I have leads on several other parts, but this is going to be slow. I hope to have something on the road by next year at best. I don't have an engine to open up yet!

My question concerning the mono tail and wiring are because I don't want to buy stuff more than once. Just want know which tail goes with what ECU and rear harness. For now!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
There are 1.6m monoposto frames, you just need to hunt for them. They came on the 996, late 916s, and late 748s. You can use a biposto harness but it puts strain on the ECU connector so a mono harness is a better bet if you can locate one.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts

I disagree. Anything you can do to a 916 out of the frame, you can do to a 996, and it's a better starting point. 955 gets a bit fringe-y with cylinder wall thickness, the 996 has bigger valves and better electrics. It's just as easy to lighten/balance a 996 crank and if you've split the cases anyway, there is no reason to settle for a 916 gearbox when you can just swap in a close ratio 748 unit.

I would strongly encourage you to look for a wrecked donor bike though. you are going to get nickle and dimed to death on all the little parts you don't even think about--stuff like suspension linkage, hoses,and even simple nuts/bolts.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I disagree. Anything you can do to a 916 out of the frame, you can do to a 996, and it's a better starting point. 955 gets a bit fringe-y with cylinder wall thickness, the 996 has bigger valves and better electrics. It's just as easy to lighten/balance a 996 crank and if you've split the cases anyway, there is no reason to settle for a 916 gearbox when you can just swap in a close ratio 748 unit.

I would strongly encourage you to look for a wrecked donor bike though. you are going to get nickle and dimed to death on all the little parts you don't even think about--stuff like suspension linkage, hoses,and even simple nuts/bolts.
I hope the OP doesn't mind if I piggyback a question....
Is the close ratio 748 box a favourable addition to a 996 powerplant?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
If racing, yes. Otherwise, you can simply adjust the final gearing with sprockets and you'll have plenty of grunt to handle street duties.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
i guess you've seen this one?
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/129-parts-accessories/139048-parting-out-ducati-996-never-wrecked-termignoni-full-exhaust-brembo-brakes-etc.html

good luck with your build, don't forget to post lots of photos. i'd definitely go with the aluminum subframe, the steel one is alot heavier.

according to haynes:
916 strada p8 one injector
916 sp & sps, 996 sps p8 two injectors
all 748 models, 916 biposto and senna models 1.6 one injector
996 biposto and s models 1.6 two injectors

you may want to look at smaller offset triples and a steeper steering angle since you're starting with a clean slate. they transform the bike.

shorai batteries are a nice 3kg weight saving for $170, just don't use a regular battery charger on it, they need the shorai one.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input!

I'd love a wrecked bike, and there is one sort of local, but that is going to come a little later on. Right now I am after bigger items that I want for the bike that would likely not come on a donor. Clean titled frame and that aluminum mono sub frame, for example. After that stuff, and maybe a few other items are in hand, I'm going to put it on the back burner for a while. Spent a good chunk of cash on the ST4s this month too; maintenance items and a few other things I didn’t really need... Gotta recover a little! This coming spring, I will be selling off a bunch of photography equipment I won’t need anymore, and then it's on!

This project is going to produce a bike that is pretty much stock except the normal stuff like pipes, fueling etc. Rather than going crazy with money for big bore kits and such, I'm going to keep it simple and go lighter where I can and find some better suspension pieces. This will be a back road, occasional track day, bike so my poor ST can have a rest. Maybe even see the bags mounted again and do some traveling! Red, for certain. Not positive about the frame. Thinking of keeping it the period gold color, but this is in no way a restoration or an attempt to make a “correct” 95 916 so that could change. I do like the newer model’s grey frame and rims. Also considering something like an 851 paint scheme, white frame and black or white rims. That’s a ways off though! I’ll post a pic or two as things progress (slowly). I think I’m going to spend more time on a balance sheet though… I am really NOT trying to build a $10K bike I could have bought for $6K already put together!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Regarding the rear subframe swap, I've done this so I'll chime in. When the computer is relocated to the alu mono tail's position the wiring harness from a bike with a steel biposto subframe won't reach. And I mean not even remotely close unless you are moving the computer. I found a rear-half wiring harness from a wrecked bike to replace it for $125 (new they are ~$750 if you can still find them).

Don't forget you will need to change the brackets and hardware in the tail section too so the tail will close over the mono frame. All in all it's a pricey swap and sort of a pain due to the parts scavenger hunt but worth it IMO.

The only other thing I would suggest is going with a post-99 motor and electrics so you get a better charging system and more powah!!! :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hire a therapist, an electrical engineer, capture a small Italian, and go on account at the local liquor store.

Once you are at your wits end with the therapist, go on down to the liquor store.

Once that stops to work, beat the small Italian. He may be used for translation in the interim.

Get a newer engine than a Desmoquattro. If you must, go 996, 955 is an oddball don't do that.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL. Good advice. Dated an Italian in high school, she scared me; think I'll skip that part!

Parts list is now frame, red air box, 1.6M mono sub frame and proper rear harness. Not much, but a start. I’m after a few more small items, and then back burner time until that camera equipment sells. Gotta keep the wife at bay! Hope to find a wreck or basket case to help, but the frame and sub frame I bought did come with a lot of hardware still bolted on. They were not stripped. That helps a little.

Thanks for the help here with the mono sub question. Turns out my confusion was not having seen what the P8 sub looks like, and some 1.6M subs being incorrectly listed as for a P8. Some digging in parts manuals cleared things up a lot too. That P8 ECU is a monster! Turns out there are several 1.6M subs on eBay right now and one at Gotham. The frames left on eBay are a little over priced IMHO, the one I bought was a better deal.

Will be sticking with a newer engine. Ideally, I want a 01 996. The DQs are fun. I've lived with one for almost 7 years now, no issues to make me shy away. More power would be nice, but that’s not part of the plan for this one. A healthy 996 will be enough for me.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Digging this year-old thread up. All done, well as done as any of these bikes ever are...

OK, so it didn't turn out to be a red 996. A yellow 916 will do though!

Paint at some point, but not this year. Suspension on-going. Next up, have a set of pipes to core.

Registered it this morning.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know what you mean. How was the maiden voyage?
It was much fun and thankfully mechanically uneventful. Did a 120 miles. Filled the tank with fresh gas and some fuel system cleaner. The intention was to flog it a bit and see what broke or leaked. Nothing broke, but there was a leak. Clutch-side push rod seal. Had a spare.

Love the character (power delivery) of the 916 over the ST4s version of the 996. The intake cams are different and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Down on power low and mid, but you can feel the rush after 7K more on the 916. Fun. The ST version of the 996 just pulls from the bottom up. Better, I'm sure, but it makes for a lazy ride.

Preaching to the choir here about handling, comfort and heat... All what I expected, and I love it (for an hour or two)!

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice. You sourced the entire bike?
That's how I went about it. I was lucky, and patient, finding what I needed. This could have turned into a financial mess, but buying some things in whole assemblies and sourcing small items like nuts, bolts and odd hardware in lots kept things in check. A few of those tear-down grab bags you see on eBay from time to time for $30 -$40 saved my butt many times and more than paid for themselves. In the end, I came out about even with just buying one. What fun would that be?

·
Flying Brit
1,809 Posts
I have built many hundreds of bikes over the years and the 916 is by the far the easiest and most fun you will ever come across. Satisfaction is guaranteed.

There are many parts available and these parts are highly ubiquitous interchangeability is incredible. Last time I tried to do this on a Japanese bike my 10th TL1000R after pulling it apart to powdercoat the frame, the complexity was so ridiculous in comparison to the 916 that I decided no more and parted it all out instead. All I do now is rebuild 916s, much more fun!

Good luck with the build

1 - 20 of 20 Posts