Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone walk me through the proper way to start up and warm up? I feel like Im doing something wrong. Feel free to get neurotic.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
1) Remove Bike cover
2) Dust off bike, clean mirrors
3) Turn key to On Position

:D

Sorry I could'nt resist
if you could define the Problem it would help
I bet the stepper motor at start up is giving you concerns.

Fill us in

JC

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Don't know why you are posting again here about it in a new thread but I guess you are frustrated and P.O'd about your bike and the service.
Electrical problems can be a nightmare as you have discovered.

First
I would start looking for another service place to get a second opinion
Have you tried the guys down at Nichols in Milpitas?
Maybe you should give them a call and see if they can help
http://motorcycle.nicholsmfg.com/
They are a bit far from the city but may be worth the trip.

Now as for start up:
I personally do not have any particular startup method but the only time I get this weird problem you have is when I start her and stall her and then start her again, the idle is erratic and she wants to quit or does quit.
It eventually rides out once it gets going
The problem I'm guessing is the stepper motor and or the Throttle position sensor TPO
But from what you are describing I think it may be the stepper motor.

now this being said.
Did the original owner give you a history of what was done to the bike?
Service, warranty fixes, custom electrical etc etc? In other words the history of the bike even though you got it at 700 Miles.

also
I do not think it is battery.
if theyy checked the charging system and the battery and it came up good thats pretty much a easy thing.
I have had the same stock battery in my bike since I bought the bike.
I did go though a regulator but the battery was not replaced and it's still holds a charge etc etc
(Knock on wood!!)
so a stock battery is not a bad thing, it's been bery bery good to me.
The battery was made on Wednesday;)

Now another thing
If you still have the evap charcoal canister on the bike and it's still hooked up.
This can cause the same symptoms if it gets saturated with gas.
If you do not have this canister check that the breather hose and the over fill hose is not kinked or pluged up

Other wise
Check that the coils are hooked up properly, the plug wires are hooked up properly.
Check all connections and electrical fittings.

Do visit JIM at Nichols and tell em JC from Alpina wheels sent ya

Good luck
JC

·
Registered
34 Posts
Starting procedure in a nutshell: turn key on, press starter. Do not twist the throttle to pump it like carb. bikes. Let it idle for several minutes while you put your gear on, etc. Ride...enjoy!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm up in the wee hours of the morning and with the Termi's it's more or less, turn the key, wait for the initial revs to drop and then set off. I ride her fairly gently until the oil temp registers, then it's all hell for leather :D

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
+2, sorry I did not see the model, year make posted. I presume since this is in the SC thread it's a SC or a GT. My 2007 GT1000 has no throttle lever (not calling it a choke as it's not really a choke on newer models that have that it's just a throttle advance). Anyway, on the GT1000. You push the start button, it fires up, you wait a minute or so for the revs to drop and off you go. Could not be more simple.

I'm up in the wee hours of the morning and with the Termi's it's more or less, turn the key, wait for the initial revs to drop and then set off. I ride her fairly gently until the oil temp registers, then it's all hell for leather :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've read that you need to wait for the engine light to go out - the fuel system is calibrating or something. I have had the engine stall after after a few seconds on a couple of occassions if I forgot to do this. It could be random, I guess.

Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Might check owners manual. Mine (GT1000) indicates to wait for the neurtal and red oil light to come on before pushing the start button. That presumes your starting it in neutral. Those lights come on pretty fast, so not much of a wait. Only other "start" instruction for servo assit is wait 2 seconds before pushing start again. No other direction stated about display states or wait time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A service tech told me to turn key on and wait for the lights to cycle off. He said its a systems check, plus the fuel pump is pressurizing the system.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Crank 'er up. Ride off. Keep the revs doen intitially, letting the "Lo - -lo - -lo" in the temp window go away. Ride on!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
A service tech told me to turn key on and wait for the lights to cycle off. He said its a systems check, plus the fuel pump is pressurizing the system.
Is that also after the speedo & tach have done their thing? I usually wait to hit the start button until then, but don't recall specifically reading or hearing this is a good idea.

Per a few reliable sources here, I'll also give the throttle a slight quick twist if I feel it's not gonna crank before the assist shuts off. This always fires it up. I know it's not unusual to require a few cranks, but I worry about the drain on the battery, especially in hot weather. I rarely have to do this though, and with the weather cooling down, the bike's actually been starting a little easier lately. Seems like it likes mild temps better than scorching ones when it comes to startups anyway.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I checked my owners and service manual and neither mentions waiting for the engine light to go out before starting. No idea where I read it or heard it, but I dutifully wait until the yellow light goes out. I've probably wasted at least 10 minutes of riding time since I got the bike :D.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Don't know if it really matters, but my dealer told me to wait until the electronics had completed that start-up procedure before touching the starter.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Same here. I was told to let the speedo and tach needles spin to max and come back to zero before hitting the starter.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
right.....

Yes, started doing that. Do you guys blip the throttle immediately or just leave the bike alone for a few minutes? And how long to you ride before you start rolling on higher revs? Where is your oil temp?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yes, started doing that. Do you guys blip the throttle immediately or just leave the bike alone for a few minutes? And how long to you ride before you start rolling on higher revs? Where is your oil temp?
If the ambient temp is warm\hot, I typically just wait 30 seconds or so to blip the throttle (small blips) a few times. Maybe a minute or two if its cold. I've only got about 1/3 of a mile before I hit the freeway, but I try and stay below 4k revs until I get a temp reading, then keep it below 4.5K for a few more minutes if ambient temp is cool or until its reading 150F when ambient is warm. That's the nice thing about the stock gearing - I can do 70 while only turning 3.8K so can easily keep up with traffic without working the motor too much when its cool. Once I'm up around 160-170F, I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
In all temps (yes it does get frosty around here when riding through the winter...) I simply turn the key on, push the button and let out hte clutch to motor away. It warms up as I go down the road. I don't worry any more about wether the gauge sweep is done, or if the oil temp is no longer showing "lo". I don't worry about RPM, but I don't put the motor under any heavy load/stress until it's good and warmed up. usually. I actually worry more about lugging it too much when cold than rev'ing it. Seems like that would be harder on the motor.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My '06 Sport 1000 is very reluctant starter, and always demands a bit of throttle to get going from a COLD start. It won't light off just by pressing the button, without a little throttle, making it very different from my ST3s which does not need any throttle even when cold.

The Sport lights off immediately on the button when warm. My techs don't seem very worried about the cold starting issue, and they have a lot of experience with these engines. I still don't like it; the manual says not to touch the throttle when the starter is operating, but if I didn't I wouldn't get going.

Anybody else have this problem? Solutions?

2006 Ducati ST3s
2006 Ducati Sport 1000 RED
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 stock/mint

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
preventative medicine

Exactly same issue here. And this lead me to believe that there was either a fueling, or electrical problem. The bike finally did start dying so it seems that that sluggish start IS worth noting. So you either wait to fail, like I did, or next time you are in the shop have them check the charging system and fueling, and anything else they can think of.

To my mind it should not be necessary to Blip to keep the rpms up while cold stating.

Since I replaced the battery and gone for a long, aggressive ride it starts much more readily, but...it wont tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts