Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just joined the site and I have always loved Ducatis. I want to get either a 748, 916 or 996 biposto. It will be my first bike but I will have the chip set to 50 hp so I can learn at my own pace. I have some questions:

How many Kms can you put on an average ducati?

Is there a major differnce between the 916 and 996 besides engine?

Is it cheaper to buy the bike in North America or have it shipped?

I will be in Germany this summer so I coud get one there and ship it but Im not sure if that makes sense. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
Hi,

I just joined the site and I have always loved Ducatis. I want to get either a 748, 916 or 996 BiPoste. It will be my first bike but I will have the chip set to 50 hp so I can learn at my own pace. I have some questions:
That isn´t possible. But you CAN downtune the engine somewhat.

How many Kms can you put on an average Ducati?
Impossible to say. Most ducs need some more advanced work when they get up to 50000km´s, but it depends on the owner.

Is there a major difference between the 916 and 996 besides engine?
Not really. Suspension on the 996 is usually better, not that you will feel the difference if your just starting out.

Is it cheaper to buy the bike in North America or have it shipped?
It´s cheaper in North America

I will be in Germany this summer so I Cord get one there and ship it but Im not sure if that makes sense. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
It does NOT make sense to buy one in Germany. Prices in the USA compare favorably to German prices. Depends a little on what price you get and exchange rate, but i wouldn´t guess it´s cheaper to import.

On a side note.. I´d recommend getting a smaller bike to start out with. If your sold on Ducati´s I´d recommend a Monster 600, 620 or 750 to start with. The wider handlebars and lighter weight will allow you to attain some skills faster then on the extreme 748-916 style models. This is of course up to you, but please look into it.

//amullo

·
Registered
426 Posts
Or the supersports are great bikes too. My first bike is my SS1000DS, I love it. Granted, I know I should have started with something smaller. Main thing with the monsters and SS its 2 valves, slightly less mainteniance intensive, I love the air cooled too. Plus you still have a good deal of power but not sbk level (Still enought scare the shit out of you when you want it too ;) ). I bought my bike with the same philosphy as my parachute, I went into both knowing I was buying a bit ahead of my skill level as far as performance, because of this I constantly remind myself to respect it. In both cases friends had tried to talk me out of it, I always used the analogy of if I bought my Mom a Ferrari, she would still drive it like her ford taurus, she doesnt need the extra performance, but it doesnt necessarily make it more dangerous for her. Meaning I wanted to buy ahead for what my skill level would be at later on so I could really enjoy it, but early on I can handle it very conservatively. I have had mine for almost a year and I'm sure I have just barely begun to unlock the potential. I prefer to buy slightly ahead of my skill so I can grow into it, but you have to be aware of the extra concerns of a higher performance bike, and respect it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
First bike and your heart is set on it, then I would suggest taking the safety course sponsored by your state's Dept of Transportation.

It is usually free and well worth the couple of days. Just getting some saddle time before you buy the bike is well worth it. You don't want to learn how to ride a 996 and learn how to ride a motorcycle at the same time in traffic. Too many dynamic variables that you might not be aware of. That includes variables about the bike AND more importantly about traffic.

There's a lot to learn about riding and a large displacement bike is not a good start. For starters, the throttle is very sensitive. Couple that with your lack of experience and that is a small disaster waiting to happen.

There are some great books out there, Twist of the Wrist II (Keith Code) covers cornering, Motorcycling Excellence (General safety), Proficient Motorcycling I and II (General safety), Sport Riding Techniques (General info about sport bikes)

With that said, with the RIGHT person and the right ATTITUDE it can be done safely.

Take the course, read those books (and any other safety related ones), talk to veteran riders and practice in a parking lot and you should be okay. It could mean the difference of you coming home in one piece, or not. Cagers are crazy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I know the bikes are above my skill level but I there is nothing I want more than a ducati. I think I can master riding safely, I dont intend to start driving on the until after I have got my license in Germany which involves about 20 hours of driving and 20 hours of lecture. I have some books already and I am signing up for a course in the summer. I see these bikes as a work of art and I could never forgive myself if I ruined one.

Can someone tell me where I can look for a good used one? I live in Canada so a place that offers shipping would be good.

Are you sure its not possible to do the governing with a chip? I have seen some bikes that said they had been governed to 25 KW with a chip.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My first bike was an 04 R6. I utterly enjoyed it until I rode a 999.

Now I ride a 996.

All I can say is: be careful when you start riding, be careful when you become more experienced and be careful when you are beyond experienced. That way you can ride whatever you want.

If you´re hooked on a Ducati SBK, look into a used 748 to start off (less power, more controllabe) and practise the shit out of yourself and the bike. That´s what I did on the R6 ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you send me some links to where I can find a nice bike, I wont be purchasing it until August but I would like to start looking at prices and stuff.

·
Registered
80 Posts
you should also know that your first bike can almost be written off. i promise you will crash it. you might not want to start with your dream bike for just that reason. you seem somewhat level-headed in that you want to down power the bike, but believe me a superbike is not a beginner bike, no matter how careful you think your going to be. if you really need to buy it, then ok, get one. and park it in your garage. get a ninja500 or something like that, learn to ride it, get your first crash out of the way... all the while you can be pulling the motor of your bike apart, fixing the rockers, pull off all the electrical contacts and clean and fix them... by the time you learn to ride you will have a pristene superbike waiting in the garage for you.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I always recommend your first bike be something kinda cool and used. The kinda bike you will always remember and you might stuff in the back of the garage when you get the bike of your dreams. Then later on you can get it back on the road and relive the past. I wish I still had my first bike and I sold it for only $900!!! For sportbike guys I recommend a Kawi Ninja 500 or Suzuki GS500.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yea I'm with the "warn you off dream bike" crowd. I've tought 6 people to ride 4 crashed within the first 30min (all at low speed) putting nice dents in the training bike I let them use. Make sure you wear some thick jeans (or better yet leathers) unless you want some scraped up knees. It will also take you about a year just to learn how not to drop the bike every time something stupid happens while at a standstill/really slow speed like putting your foot in that unspected pothole, slipping, stalling unspectedly, and stoping weird.

The REAL killer is over confidence. people get on the thing think they are doing good and start doing stupid things after 10min. You can sit there and tell them not to get over confident and to slow down and it doesnt work.

If your dead set on a Duc I agree with the Monster with the small aircooled engin. They make about 65-75hp and are a LOT of fun. They also look good with dents and scratches :-D. Ride that for a year then think about getting your dream bike. You wont be dissapointed.

If your willing to save a Ducati from the horror of being wrecked, I recomend a Suzuki GS500E, enough performance to keep you happy, cheep (few years old low miles good condition $2500, will keep its value well). Just dont go too small, REALLY small engins dont give you _any_ idea what a big heavy bike with a lot of power will feel like. Most safty schools use 50-150cc bikes, I've ridden a 150cc bike and they feel more like bicycles/mopeds and will leave you utterly unprepared for a vehicle that weights 350---450lbs with 130hp or more.

Just watch this and cry:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4211612678634670377&q=Motorcycle+Crash&pl=true

·
comrade moderator
26,798 Posts
I'd like to toss out my vote on a used Honda Hawk GT. One of the most fun bikes ever made! And, it's one you can grow with, can be had cheap, parts are plentiful, and a good rider can really embarress guys on newer tackle in the canyons. That guy used to be me! He he...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I have thought about it after reading your posts, I could never forgive myself if I wrecked a Ducati. I think I will get a gixxer 600 maybe a 98 or something ugly like that. If Im lucky I wont wreck it and I can sell it after the first year and upgrade to a bike I really want. Its hard to make a decision like this, because basically I will end up spending money on a bike I dont really want but I guess its part of the process.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If done right you will not lose money.

If you buy a decent starter bike, used. Then when you are ready to move up you will probably be able to get most if not all the money back out of the starter bike. These bikes like rebels,ninja 500's, gse's and the like go through owners like Paris Hilton goes through condoms. If not totally beat to pieces hold their value reasonably well. For example. I bought my wife a 250 rebel for 2500$. She rode it for one season, ending in a lowside that dented the tank and scraped the muffler. This resulted in her not wanting to ride any more. I held onto it for another year, hoping she would change her mind. She didn't and when I put the word out it was for sale it was sold dents scrapes and all for 2500$. She is now down the road as well. But I lost money on that deal. LOL.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love the Paris Hilton analogy, I will definetly be getting a "starter" bike.

Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it. I have wanted a Ducati 996 for a long time but I think I can wait another year or two. At least that way I can fully enjoy it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Would think twice about the GXR 600 or any other 600 superbikes, All the superbike 600s produce an insain amount of power. To give you an example the fastest 600cc riders in AMA raceing get around the track fast enough to run in the top 10 in AMA superbike if they were on the track dureing the race! 1000cc bike produces anywhere from 140--->160 or so horsepower, 600cc superbike produces anywhere from 120--->130. The main diffrence is torque.

About the only thing good about 600cc superbikes for a beginer is you really have to ring the engin out to access their performance they are quite mild at low RPM, vs a 1000cc bike which can launch you clear accorss the county with a sneaze from an idel. So unless you can REALLY control the urge to twist that throttle and not go past the 8000RPM mark for the next year on a 600 you better stay away.

There are "safe" 600s, I hear the Suzuki SV650 (its a Vtwin too!) isnt a bad beginer bike. Lot of people love the things, they are big favorites for track bikes too. But I'll let others comment on that. I've never ridden one and dont want to go too far out on a limb.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Chris_ said:
Can you send me some links to where I can find a nice bike, I wont be purchasing it until August but I would like to start looking at prices and stuff.

If you want to buy in Germany look out for Ducatis at www.mobile.de , www.motoscout24.de or some German Ducati Forums such as www.desmorados.com and www.duc-forum.de . There´s also a couple of others like racing4fun.de which is for ... well... racing! :D Also there is diva-di-bologna.de but I don´t visit that one on a regular basis.

Might as well find something on ebay. Which part of Germany are you going to? Some US base? Ramstein? If you should come to the Hanover area, send me an email to [email protected] and I´ll show you around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts