Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after years of trouble free operation with my SC1000s, suddenly I have trouble getting the alarm to disarm unless I hold the fob directly next to the alarm unit under the seat.
This works for a few rides out but then I go out and find the battery dead (trickle charger used).
New battery fitted and all’s fine again but next time out it won’t start, ignition relay under the seat starts clicking away and dash lights and dials are haywire.

So, I’m thinking is this the R/R problem that I’ve read so much about??
Gotta be worth a try, so I order a mofset R/R from Electrosport (plug & play) but still no joy!

So, I got stuck into it today and thought where did the problem start? The Alarm.
After an internet search I found a post on a rival forum with an alarm fault on a 749 which turned out to be the internal backup siren battery pack.
Disconnected and pulled out the alarm module (Spyball 6527) and pulled it apart.
Sure enough the unit has a 6 x coin cell 7.2v 80mAh Ni-Mh battery pack.
I cut open the shrink wrap and checked output voltage which was about 0.5v before the leads fell off. Cells were leaking.

So new battery pack ordered (from China!) and fingers crossed it’ll turn up this year!
Not seen this issue mentioned on the forum before so was wondering if anyone else has come across it or does everyone generally just ditch the spyball alarm?

Cheers!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I’ve had a similar issue with my 06 mono. My battery kept dying even after replacing it with a new one and the bike wouldn’t start. I ended up replacing the rectifier as well as the stator (was recommended) and all was well again. Hope this helps!

PS, I got my rectifier from JC PakBikes and the stator from Rick’s Motorsport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
if there was ever an aftermarket product that caused endless grief on motorcycles it's alarms. i'd throw it to the shithouse. some alarms seemed to have massive current draw on the battery. 6ma draw with the ignition off will flatten a battery over a day or two.

otherwise, diagnose the issue. don't just replace parts and hope.

Brad The Bike Boy: Charging system diagnosis procedure

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, it’s the OEM spyball alarm.
Definitely causing a problem as wouldn’t arm/disarm so I removed the lot which was fairly easy as it’s installed with its own loom, so just a matter of disconnecting and reconnecting plugs.
Recharged battery and bike ran great for about a week but after letting it stand on trickle charger the battery’s flat again!
Got a house to paint so will have another crack at it in a week or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts