Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06' 800SS just developed the habit of not starting. The cluster lights up, there is power, but as soon as I try to start it a click sound happens and nothing after.

1. Stand is up.
2. If in gear clutch is all the way in.
3. Kill switch is in the on position that lets the bike start.

It happened last week, I played with the cables a bit and push started it... I tried push starting it today and nothing happened. the click noise comes from the what looks like the fuel pump? A small black cylinder like container with a sensor like plug on the right side under the tank, right next to the fairing attached to the frame. I am thinking is that or maybe the side stand sensor? It has been really hot here in boston and I did take a trip where the bike was running at 304F because of traffic... could that have melted a cable?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Could be the ground. Check the ground connector on the right side of the engine block. It's just to the right and below the rear brake master cylinder. Take it off and clean the underside of the connector with a wire brush or scrape it with a screwdriver blade. Clean off the top of the block also where it connects. That might work.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
My 06' 800SS just developed the habit of not starting. The cluster lights up, there is power, but as soon as I try to start it a click sound happens and nothing after.

1. Stand is up.
2. If in gear clutch is all the way in.
3. Kill switch is in the on position that lets the bike start.

It happened last week, I played with the cables a bit and push started it... I tried push starting it today and nothing happened. the click noise comes from the what looks like the fuel pump? A small black cylinder like container with a sensor like plug on the right side under the tank, right next to the fairing attached to the frame. I am thinking is that or maybe the side stand sensor? It has been really hot here in boston and I did take a trip where the bike was running at 304F because of traffic... could that have melted a cable?

Any help would be appreciated!
The small black cylinder should be the starter relay. Like metalhead mentioned check the ground and all terminals from the battery to the starter for loose connections or corrosion.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I hate to be captain obvious but have you had your battery load tested? sounds like a battery going bad to me. In my experience, when you press the starter button and all you hear is the starter relay clicking, its a dead or bad battery 95% of the time. Loose or corroded connections are possible and its a good idea to check for that first but I'd be willing to bet having the battery load tested would give you your answer.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Start test

I am with Woodyracing on this one - most likely the battery is stuffed.

To check if it does start, just get some jumper leads and connect them to a car battery, then try to start. If it does, then the battery is stuffed. If it still clicks, then you have a connection problem and you will have to work through the starter wiring circuit to find it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
+3 on the battery. Is the original battery? Put a charger on it lately?

It has been hot and humid latrely, but 304°F?! Yikes! I'll bet the battery didn't like that heat much, maybe a good time to change the oil as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check the batter today. However I did get it to start yesterday after work. I went home tried to start it and the clicking happen again, then i checked/cleaned connections on the starter relay and starter, lifetd the tank and checked the hoses. Bike started up with no problems and drove it around the block. I just check all the connections on the right side, today I will take off the left side panels and check the ones there. I also cleaned the battery connections. Could it be the fuel pump?

The bike has 1553 miles... I bought it last April from a dealer where a guy that had it in his garage for a year with 1 mile in it then drove it and put 17 more (18 total miles). I changed the belts, drove it up until last fall... locked the front tire and crashed it a bit. I fixed most of it at this point, the gauge culster has one of the lenses broken and the needle is exposed. From what I know the battery was new from the dealer where I bought it.

On stop and go traffic 304F i thought was high... I am running regular shell oil in the bike 10W-40... planning on switching to rotella synthetic 5w-50. But I will take suggestions on any oil that will help the bike run cooler.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be the ground. Check the ground connector on the right side of the engine block. It's just to the right and below the rear brake master cylinder. Take it off and clean the underside of the connector with a wire brush or scrape it with a screwdriver blade. Clean off the top of the block also where it connects. That might work.
You were right on the money metalhead... I didn't realized this until today. I changed the solenoid, added a thicker gauge cable from the solenoid to the starter, tricle charge the battery and had it tested, took the starter out (which was a pain... mainly bc i drained the fresh oil from last fall). Anyways, I did exactly as you said and the bike is starting up like new... I added a washer between the ground wire and the engine block and another one between the ground wire and the top of the screw. I just finished putting my bike together.

THANKS A MILLION FOR THE SUGGESTION!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts