Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just when I was telling how great my bike has been after 24k miles, starting nightmare “starts” 🙄
I just change starter, spark plugs and upgraded to the motolectric copper cables, but still has that clanking horrible noise and is like crying for help to start.

I‘m thinking, starting clutch, one way clutch? Maybe worst 🤦‍♂️ What do you guys think?

Here is a video

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man you guys are quiet here 😆

anyways... a ducati tech confirmed my suspicions, one way clutch and most likely the starting clutch and starter gear... and since you new guys don’t know crap here, I’m going to document this repair for the next guy asking for help about this stupid little bracelet, peace 🤣
On this pictures you will see the 3 pieces I’m talking about

here is another question
1. What size is the nut holding the flywheel?

and here is one answer for you, do you need the special tool to remove the nut?... yes you do

Your welcome

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man you guys are quiet here 😆

anyways... a ducati tech confirmed my suspicions, one way clutch and most likely the starting clutch and starter gear... and since you new guys don’t know crap here, I’m going to document this repair for the next guy asking for help about this stupid little bracelet, peace 🤣
On this pictures you will see the 3 pieces I’m talking about

View attachment 976225

here is another question
1. What size is the nut holding the flywheel?

and here is one answer for you, do you need the special tool to remove the nut?... yes you do
View attachment 976227
Your welcome
Truly appreciated!!!! Where do you plan on starting? Do you have the special tool?

·
Registered
38 Posts
What if the rear tire is on the ground and the engine in gear. Do you really need the tool? Just thinking out loud. The tool is probably mostly used for bench work.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truly appreciated!!!! Where do you plan on starting? Do you have the special tool?
I’m doing this little by little, don’t have much time available, would be updating soon

What if the rear tire is on the ground and the engine in gear. Do you really need the tool? Just thinking out loud. The tool is probably mostly used for bench work.
I’m not sure if you really need the tool, I just like to follow manual instructions and that’s what mine says, I’m pretty sure there are other ways that people would come up with to do the job, I even read that you can stick a penny in between the gears and be done just like that

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I looked into my options about this repair, used or new... I was going to get new for like $500 for these 3 pieces

Or a ducati tech offer me these used for $250

but I found a complete flywheel set on eBay an offered $300 and got it, shipping included, got it yesterday from Italy (took only 6 days)

the gear starter it’s perfect, so I’m hoping the rest is in the same condition, I’m not planning to disassemble, I’m going to take mine off and putting this one in

I’m also considering getting this to lock the flywheel, it seems by looking at the reviews it does the job but it gets crushed, so it doesn’t last long. You can find it on amazon for $13.95

... or not, just use the damn penny :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the two flywheels. it’s clear which is the bad one way clutch

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the flywheel in torqued to spec, then... How the F! I get the crushed penny out???!!!

now I have a big mess to deal with, any ideas?💡
Flywheel is out and can’t get the gears to move
I’m going to work now and continue later or tomorrow

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've used the tool on every removal, along with an impact gun. The way it was explained to me was you don't want to put that unnecessary pressure on your tranny gears and have them knocking about while trying to get that nut off. Its a small cost for peace of mind.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've used the tool on every removal, along with an impact gun. The way it was explained to me was you don't want to put that unnecessary pressure on your tranny gears and have them knocking about while trying to get that nut off. Its a small cost for peace of mind.
Usually I get every single tool to do the job and now it’s kicking me in the rear end😒

when I get home I’m going to try taking the starter out to release the tension, that should do it, I hope 🤞

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put the rear wheel on the ground and rock the bike back and forth a little. I bet the penny would fall out then.
But bike is in neutral on a side stand, I tried rotating the rear wheel a little bit but nothing moves, how putting it on the floor is any different, whats my dumbass missing here? 😆

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So after a mayor upgrades and replacing old stuff, I’m happy to report that my bike is back:)

I replaced...
  • new regulador
  • new starter (amazon $200, ducati wants 600+ for the same one, crazy)
  • new motolectric thick cables
  • new Used Complete flywheel to replace the broken one way clutch
  • new pressure sensor switch
  • oil change
  • coolant
  • new spark plugs
  • new tailight
  • new rear turn signals
  • new battery pad and other missing, broken, washers or screws
  • new set of fresh tires
damn between that and some new tools I pretty much spend $2k. And all the work was done by me. I hope in 2020 all the money goes just into gas

This thing is great to lock the gears highly recommended

motolectric cable, the one on the right is the oem cable

before and after...

A lot of hours!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts