Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the last two months and on average about every 8-10 days my bike will not start and I have to enter my pin code. I've changed batteries in my key fob the first two times, brand new 2032 batteries. The problems continued and now I just remove the battery and put it back. The bike starts and again after just over a week, the same problem returns and pin code time again. It's been at the dealership for one week now and they can't duplicate the problem. It's been five days since the dealer let me know they were going to reach Ducati. Still no response from the dealer. Any other 1200S user have this problem?:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cell phone nearby? I know mine can cause interference sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cell Phone always mounted on my handle bars, not sure why this would cause interference but good to know, thanks

·
Registered
408 Posts
Intermittent non-starting from the key fob has been a problem on these bikes from Day 1 (Mine is a late model 2010 and had done it every few months). It seems to be independent of the fob's battery status. I notice it is more likely around RF sources like newer gas pumps, but I've had it happen in the middle of nowhere too. The main button plus pin code has always worked (so far, knock carbon fiber...)

I think there's an obscure Italian law requiring unreliable gas gauges and random electrical gremlins on Ducatis.

Dave

Reactions: Stick

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cell Phone always mounted on my handle bars, not sure why this would cause interference but good to know, thanks

There was one guy who couldn’t ever use his fob at work because of cell towers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve certainly had to flip the switch a few times or dig the fob out of my pocket and hold it a bit closer. That usually seems to do it though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Intermittent non-starting from the key fob has been a problem on these bikes from Day 1 (Mine is a late model 2010 and had done it every few months). It seems to be independent of the fob's battery status. I notice it is more likely around RF sources like newer gas pumps, but I've had it happen in the middle of nowhere too. The main button plus pin code has always worked (so far, knock carbon fiber...)

I think there's an obscure Italian law requiring unreliable gas gauges and random electrical gremlins on Ducatis.

Dave

Agree I think it’s RF related happens every time at certain quicktrip gas stations and some others in the area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, just found out the dealer is ordering a new key fob expected to arrive next week. Wife let me know they called because I'm at work. Going to check tomorrow and see if I can pick up my bike anyway until the new key arrives. Weather here in the mid 70's-90 degrees including next week. Haven't been able to ride since dropping my bike off a week ago, hate to wait longer

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not the same issue and don't men to hijack your thread, but my issue is turning off the bike. Pressing the kill button sometimes has no response, also intermittent and engine will stay idling unless I slide up the red on/off slider switch or select 1st gear and extend the side stand to kill the engine. Ducati says it's a relay which they replaced however problem is still there. Weird

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
I've also had an occasional issue at some gas stations with powering the bike from the fob... but never had a recurring 8-10 day thing. When my battery died the fob just went from working every time to not working ever.

As for shutting down... if the bike is moving EVEN A TINY BIT the ignition won't shut off. If you have a habit of shutting down while you're maneuvering or even just settling onto the side stand then it may be that the bike is moving enough to not allow you to shut off the ignition.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have had the problem at gas stations also. It always happens at the local non ethanol station. Is your bike always in the same spot when this happens? Does it occur at other locations? As mentioned it probably is rf interference of some kind. Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Called the dealer and picked up my bike. They said Ducati issue a bulletin to replace the key fobs, haven't seen any. New key on order and will return to program the bike when it comes in. Sadly had to ask them if I could take the bike while waiting for the key. I could have picked the bike up earlier but nothing was said until I called.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cell phone. My 14 does it anytime my iPhone is closer to the tank than the key or in the same pocket on my jacket. Put the fob near the front of the tank and it will usually work if your phone is in a tank bag. I changed my pin to 000# to make it faster if I need it... wish the bike just had a key.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cell phone. My 14 does it anytime my iPhone is closer to the tank than the key or in the same pocket on my jacket. Put the fob near the front of the tank and it will usually work if your phone is in a tank bag.
Had same thing happen on my '12. Had cell phone in RAM mount on left side of handlebars and fob in my left pants pocket. Stopped at a gas station to fill up and no dice getting it to see the key again. As soon as I moved it to my right pocket, slightly away from the phone, it started working again.

Son-in-law has a small cross-bar bag on his '14 that he keeps his key in while riding. I'll have to take a look at that setup next time I'm around his bike.

·
Registered
506 Posts
As for shutting down... if the bike is moving EVEN A TINY BIT the ignition won't shut off. If you have a habit of shutting down while you're maneuvering or even just settling onto the side stand then it may be that the bike is moving enough to not allow you to shut off the ignition.
Just for clarification, I can be going 100mph, pull in the clutch and press the on/off and my MTS will completely shut off. I snuck in the driveway a few weeks ago shutting the bike off up the road about 100 yards and coasting in quiet.

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
Just for clarification, I can be going 100mph, pull in the clutch and press the on/off and my MTS will completely shut off. I snuck in the driveway a few weeks ago shutting the bike off up the road about 100 yards and coasting in quiet.
With the DVT you can shut off the motor anytime... but the ignition won't shut off if the bike is moving.

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cell phone. My 14 does it anytime my iPhone is closer to the tank than the key or in the same pocket on my jacket. Put the fob near the front of the tank and it will usually work if your phone is in a tank bag. I changed my pin to 000# to make it faster if I need it... wish the bike just had a key.
Glad to find this thread. Just purchased a new to me 2013 and it has refused to use the fob at many different places. First I replaced the battery in the key and the bike and got a new fob. Also tried turning off my phone, still same thing. Never works at work. We have a 1000 spot parking lot covered with solar panels and I wonder if that has something to do with it. As long as the code works I guess it is okay but still annoying and I am just waiting to get stranded when the pin menu doesn't come up. I would prefer a $5 metal-turn-the-key set up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The bike having power and not starting and bike having no power are two different issues.

Bike has power is likely faulty key fob or battery\ external interference.

Bike no power is likely starter solenoid arcing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bike having power and not starting and bike having no power are two different issues.

Bike has power is likely faulty key fob or battery\ external interference.

Bike no power is likely starter solenoid arcing.
Bike always has power, just does not recognize the fob. I think the fob to bike connection is worse than AM radio reception in the rain near a traffic light next to train tracks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
FWIW I had the no start today after getting gas. I had the fob in my pocket. On a hunch I just held the fob up under the dash display and pushed the go button with my other hand. The bike powered right up. It is my understanding that the newer gas pumps use something like a wifi com to talk to the store computer. I assume that signal is confusing the fob / bike interface.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts