Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, another issue while on the road..

1998 ST2. I bought the bike about a month or so ago. Put on well over 1,500 miles. Now on a fairly long trip. The bike is running well(except for the brake issue listed in my other thread). When I stop, there is a bit of hesitation to get the bike started again, a little lag.

Luckily, I brought my battery tender with me and it's plugged in right now. I can tell it's a HUGE help even after only being plugged in for a few minutes.

What to do?

thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the powerlet cables do the trick. the bigger gauge wires for sure get the sucker cranking. unfortunitly they don't provide the cable boots. i had no luck pulling them off the old cables and had to cut the old cables to remove them, yes i even greased them up. i sourced them at desmotimes. well worth the effort on my 98 st2.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Might just be a weak battery. But do check the terminals and power connectors. I added an additional negative lead from the kit mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Maybe you should sit down for this ...

Sounds like one of two things:
The battery needs to be replaced. How old is it? Is it full of water? All day riding in dry heat can evaporate some water out of the battery if it's an open cell type. Sears or and Autoparts store should have another. Put the charger on it for a few hours before installing.

Or (worse)

The charging system is starting to fade away. Got a volt meter (cheap ones are available at Radio Shack). Check the terminal voltage before starting w/o the tender connected. After starting at idle and at 3000 rpms. These voltages are DC and approximate ...
Before starting, ignition on: 12 to 13 volts, DC
After starting, at idle: 12.5 to 13.5 vdc
At 3,000 rpm: 12.8 to 14.0 vdc

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For what it's worth. Bike is at the shop, should have it Monday/tuesday... Not ideal for my tour but hey, I've got a cool KIA rental car for now...

The shops initial thought is to rebuild the starter based on how it sounded. They are going to look over the entire electrical workings. The shop is top notch so I feel as I'm in good hands.

If you are going to break down, I recommend doing so in San Francisco. Desmotto Soprts is where the bike is. They have about 40 ducatis in their at all times. What does that say about Ducatis though....?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts