Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 1100S 2 in 1 Termignoni kit installed. Ride to work daily, doesn't sit much in the summer. Anybody experience any intermittent starter problems. One time perfect, next time, seconds, minutes, hours later no go. Doesn't even click, have checked all the immobilizers, side stand, kill, clutch switches. swapped the 2 relays. It doesn't get voltage through the solenoid when it fails. Damn thing fixes itself, never know when it will decide to work. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Robear

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sound weird but mine did the same thing and it ended up being the battery. But if you are getting no click could be a faulty starter solenoid.

·
Registered
452 Posts
had the same problem. Turned out my 18 months battery due for change. After i switched on the ignition, battery indicator shows 11.8V. Crank one time, goes to 11.3V but bike didnt start.

Thats it......

·
Registered
309 Posts
Might also want to check/clean the electrical connections and coat them in dielectric grease. Could also be where the starter is grounded to the motor through its mounts might be worth the time to take it off and wire brush any spot the starter and motor touch, may also want to follow the wiring from the switch to the battery tray and make sure all the plugs and possible connection points are all snug, dry, and corrosion free.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Take the switch apart on the handlebar. Its pretty dissappointing how much of a POS it is... I had the same prob and ended up bypassing that switch.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Might also want to check/clean the electrical connections and coat them in dielectric grease. Could also be where the starter is grounded to the motor through its mounts might be worth the time to take it off and wire brush any spot the starter and motor touch, may also want to follow the wiring from the switch to the battery tray and make sure all the plugs and possible connection points are all snug, dry, and corrosion free.
^^ What poakone said, clean and grease all connections with dielectric grease.

If your battery is still healthy (any auto elec shop should be able to test it for free) then consider fitting the moto electric battery wiring/cabling. They guarantee your bike to start in under 1 second.

Ducati Hypermotard Starting / Starter Upgrade Kit | eBay

Good luck.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
What you want to test is the solenoid under the seat when it fails to start. If the small wires show 12v into the solenoid when you hit the thumb switch the starter signal circuit is ok and the solenoid is failing to power the large starter wire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Issue resolved??

Installed a new solenoid assy & everything working fine........for now. Thanks to all for your time & opinions Robear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts