Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I need a new starter? When I try starting my st4 the gears inside won't engage. The starter motor spins but doesn't turn the engine. Is there a solenoid or fuse? Or do I need a whole new starter?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I would first check your connections to the solenoid that engages the gears. There's a white plug near the battery. Otherwise you'll need to troubleshoot it with a multimeter.

·
7,733 Posts
Does anyone know if I need a new starter? When I try starting my st4 the gears inside won't engage. The starter motor spins but doesn't turn the engine. Is there a solenoid or fuse? Or do I need a whole new starter?
It may be the sprag spring needs replacing, or adjustment.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Did my ST4s yesterday

I was just inside of mine yesterday, same problem. Mine was the spring around the outside of the sprag clutch was weak. Grab a Haynes manual and/or LT's and go to it you will need a replacement spring I used a spring from an oil seal. The seal that I used is a SKF #23300, $12.00 from NAPA. Be sure that you have torque wrenches one for the 30mm deep well socket for the alternator nut (Yes this is the one that if it backs off, it will cause a LOT of damage!) and a 5mm allen for the eight bolts that are inside that hold the rotor to the flywheel. You will blue locktite for those bolts as well on reassembly. The sprag is held in a pocket that is made by pressing the boss in to the flywheel. You will have to tap or press it out. If you tap it out get, another set of four screws to tap on they will get buggered up by tapping on them. Be sure that you take note of the position of the sprags in the cage, just in case they fall out. A large cir-clip will have to be removed before you start tapping the assembly apart. Wrap masking tape around the outside of the sprag to hold the sprags in and change the spring. Take your time, it not hard. Be sure to re-torque! In addition, make sure that there is no oil on any of the threads when you use the locktite. Good luck, and use carb cleaner on the threads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts