Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 999s motor that seems to be encountering some starter motor problems. When I turn hit the bypass toggle she powers up, lights, fuel pump cycles, then I hit the starter and I hear a loud click out of the starter...that's it, no turning sound, no whining, nothing.
This is my track bike and I recently relocated the battery in the tail (998 chassis),...so I though it was an electrical gremlin. So to eliminate that I did not have a bad starter I wired a bump box directly to the starter using the harness ground for the negative on the bump box. Same problem....I get a loud click out of the starter and the leads from the bump box to the starter and get pretty warm.

The motor is not hydrolocked as I can bar it over at the primary nut with a extended ratchet.

Have I got a bad starter here, sprag problem, possible flywheel problem ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
188 Posts
Angus said:
I have a 999s motor that seems to be encountering some starter motor problems. When I turn hit the bypass toggle she powers up, lights, fuel pump cycles, then I hit the starter and I hear a loud click out of the starter...that's it, no turning sound, no whining, nothing.
This is my track bike and I recently relocated the battery in the tail (998 chassis),...so I though it was an electrical gremlin. So to eliminate that I did not have a bad starter I wired a bump box directly to the starter using the harness ground for the negative on the bump box. Same problem....I get a loud click out of the starter and the leads from the bump box to the starter and get pretty warm.

The motor is not hydrolocked as I can bar it over at the primary nut with a extended ratchet.

Have I got a bad starter here, sprag problem, possible flywheel problem ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I had a similar problem.
Check the 'noid, and the generator.
i had to replace both.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd also check all the grounds, especially the one going to the battery. That happened to my TL1000R and it turned out it was just a loose ground cable. Could also try connecting your old battery and see if that works. You may have gotten a bad one.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is it a mechanical click or an electrical click? Is it the clicking of the starter solenoid when there isn't enough juice to turn the starter motor, or is it a click that would be coming from the LHS crankcase? In general, check to make sure voltage is where it should be. Run a lead off the starter wire and check to be sure the voltage is getting through when you hit the starter switch. If it is, you'll probably have to pop the case cover off and get a looksee (have to take the case cover off anyway if you're going to replace the starter).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a mechanical click. Last night I hit the starter button and reached down and put my other hand on the starter outer casing and felt the vibration of the "click" .

I will check the electricals again.....I had the frame painted and I bolted the main harness ground to where the 998 coils used to be mounted. (I have 999 style coils now).

Tonight I will wire direct to the starter with the bump box and ground separately on the cases.

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

I will report back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts