Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... '94 Elefant, but it's got a '95 supersport 900 engine...

I had a belt snap last week, but amazingly enough no damage to the valves....
Put everything back together yesterday, but when I hit the starter button, I get nothing but the solenoid click...

(background: I've never had a problem with my starter, and it was fine 6 days ago before I snapped the belt... so while it could of died in the past 4-5 days while just sitting there.. I highly, highly doubt it)

Checking voltage, I've got almost 13v through the solenoid, all the way to the starter.. (12.8v at the starter post when I press the starter button) But nothing happens with the starter... nothing.

Motor rotates easily/not seized, belts are on correctly....

Per a suggestion, when I tested the voltage at the starter post, I had my multimeter grounded on the engine block (and got the 12.8v at the post) BUT- if I ground my multimeter on the starter body, I get almost no voltage.....

Could my starter not be grounded somehow?? (while being bolted to the damn engine....?)

Any ideas anyone???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Slight correction... I just retried with the multi grounded on the starter body and got the same 12v+ reading as when grounding on the block... So I guess I didn't have it grounded very good on the starter body...

But the sob still wont turn.... ugh

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Try smacking the starter sharply with a heavish hammer near the right end while pushing the starter button. It could be a stuck or badly worn brush.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Long-time air-cooled vw driver here.. whacking it with the hammer was the first thing I tried.. haha

And that's what it seems like to me.. we were in very wet, muddy mountains last week...
I'm thinking that with the moisture created just enough rust inside the stater, to bind it up...
And usually, that's exactly what the hammer knocks loose.. but not today it seems....

Also, battery is fine. 8 month old liOn and it's got plenty of juice.

I've got an old motor in my garage I'm gonna pull the starter from.. see how that works... but ugh on pulling off the sidecover....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts