Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...So I'm all excited to fire up the 04 ST3, which I bought as a new leftover last Aug...It fired right up...I brought it around ot the front of the house, let it run for 10 minutes or so, go to turn it off, turn the key to the off position and the thing is still trying to crank the bike over. It didn't seem to affect the way the bike ran? I fired it back up, took it for a ride, and when I went to shut it off again, it shut off fine and I haven't had a problem since? Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Your starter relay stuck in the closed position. It happens occasionally. The quality of the relay is crap in my opinion. I put an Automotive one in my ST4.

Mike

·
Registered
104 Posts
It seems to be a known problem because when it happened to my new 05 ST3 the dealer wasn't surprised. They put a new relay on it. Will see how long it will last.
Bruce

·
Registered
403 Posts
It does happen every now and then. Many riders change the starter solenoid to an automotive version or a Yamaha version. I think the folks at CACyclewerks (sp) have or had one on their site.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool...Thanks for the info!! If it happens a few more times, looks like I'll try swapping it out...

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
It happened to my ST3 once when I first got it. It hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to ask earlier, if it happens again...And I ride it, will it hurt the starter at all?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Oh yeah, the starter generates a lot of heat if used excessively. I try not to run the starter for more than 10 seconds at a time and then let cool down for a few minutes if the motor didn't start after a couple of attempts. If the starter stays engaged with the motor running, the it'll overspin the starter motor while energized and may damage/wear on the starter sprag. I'll bet a the motor idles faster than a starter normal spins.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If the starter is not disengaging when you turn the ignition OFF, it also means that it is not disengaging when the ignition is ON. Running the engine when the starter is still engaged, can and will damage whole bunch of parts, including the starter, battery, starter relay and starter sprag clutch.

I had the same thing happen on my new ST4S when I first bought it. By the time I was able to remove the fairing to get to the battery terminals to disconnect them, the battery was completely dead. I recharged the battery and have not had the problem since (more than 2 years).

-Fariborz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts