Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starter is not engaging ??? Please Help?

I have a 2000 - 750 SS 2000.
I just had my 6000 mile service completed about 300 miles ago and the bike ran better then ever. I put the bike in the garage for the winter and now it won't start. Battery is fully charged and the Starter spins and stops spins and stops. It doesn't sound like it is engaging but is definelty spinning.
Any suggestions. Does the starters work like a car starter? The bike only has 7000 miles should I be having a starter problem already?

·
Registered
19 Posts
This could be the starter solenoid - if it's starting to go, it can sometimes have enough connection to spin the starter a bit but not enough of a constant connection to get things running. Use a screwdriver shaft to connect the two screws on the solenoid (thereby bybassing the solenoid) and see if she'll start up.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
If the starter spins, but the engine isn't turning over, it's the starter sprague "clutch".

There's write-ups in here (somewhere) about these. Not easy to get at. Behind the alternator cover, flywheel, etc.

But it SOUNDS (by the way U describe), like the engine is hitting the compression stroke, and stopping for a moment, then hitting the next comp. stroke and stopping.

You think the battery is 100%, but it might be going from old age (old age can be less than a year for some of these batteries!!!) . Try adding jumper cables and jump start it from a known-good battery (car, gdn. tractor, whatever). Boosters are NOT recommended, since they produce 17V in the boost mode. You can start frying stuff using these. I popped a nice 100W headlight bulb on my old Beemer, and I figured out why pretty quickly.

Jomper cables might give you the answer (battery or marginal connections on the BIG wires from the battery).

·
Registered
46 Posts
JORU said:
I have a 2000 - 750 SS 2000.
I just had my 6000 mile service completed about 300 miles ago and the bike ran better then ever. I put the bike in the garage for the winter and now it won't start. Battery is fully charged and the Starter spins and stops spins and stops. It doesn't sound like it is engaging but is definelty spinning.
Any suggestions. Does the starters work like a car starter? The bike only has 7000 miles should I be having a starter problem already?
Sounds like the starter sprag spring. Have a look at this, it might help.

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~peer/Duc/duc-spragSpring.html

Barry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.