Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been 2 months since I did my valve job , I just got everything back on. While I did the valves I also cleaned the crap out of the bike, replaced oem hoses with nex silicone, had pipes ceramic coated and wrapped in titanium wrap, my own DIY grounding and power cables, iridium plugs, belts ,

It was a complete relief that I didn't do anything wrong with valves. Bike started up withing a second , everything was great. Still need to throttle sync and raise idle. Just wanted to share.

Attachments

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Nothing like that heart-in-throat moment!!! Glad it all went without issue.

My 853 build was close to that, but I had a bad chip at the initial startup, so no spark. It just cranked. Put the old chip in and fired right up though. At least in my case, it wasn't like there was some weird mechanical "clank" going on, so I didn't really worry... much!

:D

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
Congratulations and I perfectly understand your relief!! I am always amazed that mine runs well after I have been allowed at it for a service. But it is great fun and I really enjoy it.

It once again is on the bench (60,000km service) and I have just done the horizontal head (which didn't need re-shimming, new collets (half rings) and it is back together apart obviously from the spark plug. On the weekend the vertical head will get done and then new belts. Just as well I don't have to this for a living, I take far too long!:eek:

Like you I am going for new radiator hoses will just go with the OEM ones.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you done motor work before? How were you so comfortable doing your valves?
First time tearing into an engine. First valve job. Been working on cars since I was 15 , never got a chance to work on internals. My mentality is if someone else can do it I certainly can. Growing up poor my dad did everything on his own and I picked up that motivation as well. I have yet to pay anyone to do what I can do, I'm doing ok for myself now but I will never pay anyone to do something I'm capable of doing.

I have a very can do attitude, and learn very fast. So after taking a day class on doing valves, I was more then mentally ready to tackle the job head on.

·
Super Duper Member
433 Posts
Glad to hear man. Im in the middle of putting mine back together after replacing all of the fuel line hoses (internal and external) fuel pump, pressure regulator, QD's, timing belts. I have a new slave cylinder to put on, a case saver, and some miscellaneous wiring and I'll have a "moment of truth" sometime this weekend. Most of my stuff is petrol related so I feel like I'm playing with fire.

Here's hoping mine works out as well as yours.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck. Thank god mine wasn't anything fuel related this time. I'm sure that's going to come knocking at my door in the near future.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did TB sync today, surprisingly it was spot on... went ahead and turned my bypass screws out 2.5 each side, and set my co trim levels to 22... once i did that the idle held steady between 1250-1500. hopefully the stalling issue is cured. now i have to set my clip ons, "change" the color of the bike and install fairings..

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
The reward is so much greater when you find the confidence and succeed at doing something yourself. I also find it's not as much fun if I'm not at least a little nervous to tear into something I've never attempted before.

Congrats!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I always have to ask: When someone says "valve job" do you mean you checked the valve clearances and then replaced shims or do you mean remove & reinstall the cylinder heads, strip off the cams and remove the valves, grind the valves, replace valve guides and have new valve seats cut? Just because there's a whole complete difference between the two jobs & I hear the term "valve job" being batted about effortlessly on various forums.

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
It's how you go about it.
Read up on it first and have info at the ready, Nice to have pics if you are going to take a lot of time doing job.

Confidense is inspiring , Problem I have is wondering if I didn't see what was not normal.

It is just a machine , learn it...

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
I always have to ask: When someone says "valve job" do you mean you checked the valve clearances and then replaced shims or do you mean remove & reinstall the cylinder heads, strip off the cams and remove the valves, grind the valves, replace valve guides and have new valve seats cut? Just because there's a whole complete difference between the two jobs & I hear the term "valve job" being batted about effortlessly on various forums.
I hear you, but I am just doing clearances and basic checks and adjustment if required on the 998. Still find it incredible though" Everything else you have described above we did recently on my F1, as although kilometres were low, wanted to know what we were dealing with so eveything was done including cutting a new valve seat due to some grit which had pitted the seat, which fortunately we posses the tools to do. I actually called it a Head Job! Dear moderators, please don't ban me:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry I ment valve adjustment. Thanks for the correction. I'm not where near the amount of balls it will take to rip the heads off these engines.

Color didn't come out right in the pic.
No worries. A valve adjustment job is still a big enough job in itself. I'm doing that right now on my 848, including installing MBP collets and setting cam timing. The whole 15,000 mile service and then some.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
did TB sync today, surprisingly it was spot on... went ahead and turned my bypass screws out 2.5 each side, and set my co trim levels to 22... once i did that the idle held steady between 1250-1500. hopefully the stalling issue is cured. now i have to set my clip ons, "change" the color of the bike and install fairings..
If everything is nicely in spec, idling at 1500 is a bit high.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If everything is nicely in spec, idling at 1500 is a bit high.
it use to bounce right above 1000rpm, but i would stall when letting off gas or coming to a light. i would always have to blip the throttle before i let off to keep it from dying. im hoping the increases idle will solve that problem.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
it use to bounce right above 1000rpm, but i would stall when letting off gas or coming to a light. i would always have to blip the throttle before i let off to keep it from dying. im hoping the increases idle will solve that problem.
If the valves are freshly adjusted, TB synced, TPS and trim set, and the chip is matched to the exhaust, there are only a couple things left that would keep it from idling nice. Clean and gap the plugs, clean air filters, and maybe an inefficient/partially obstructed injector.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts