Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got all ready for my ride and since it has been hot, I just turned on the key and pushed the starter. Started right up on my Shorai and then petered out before I could throttle up. Turned off the key, turned it back on and no familiar pump noise, wouldn't fire up. Checked all connections, fuses, replaced what I thought was a faulty relay and jumped back on. No pump sound and it won't fire! Now after tracing this all back and re-reading the shop manual, it is starting to look like a bad fuel pump ($231 from Omaha!). Anybody have this happen and how hard will it be to change out. Been runnin smooth and then suddenly this- I thought at first I had only flooded out but then no sound off of the pump and I knew it was bigger, thanks for any advice. 2000 900ss i.e., 8500 mi.

Attachments

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I assume you have power everywhere else? Take the fuel pump to an auto parts store, easy to match up, good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel pump issues

Yes, all electrics work fine, just the fuel pump not priming when the key is turned- I found a Chinese pump that replaces the oem from Ca./cycleworks for $149! I will probably do this if there is not something I am missing, thanks

Attachments

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Apologies if you have done this.

I never trust visual inspection of wires, fuses etc.

The only thing I trust is using a multimeter on the 20V scale with the neg lead connected to the battery neg as the reference point.

The attached diag is from a 2001 900SSie and should be the same as your 2000.

Relay 27 is the crux of getting power from pin 87 to the pump, injectors and coils via the brown/white wire.

Even with the key off, you should see battery voltage at pin 30. This direct to the battery via the fuse between 7/15 in the fuse block via the red/blue wire.

With the key on and the off/run switch to On, you should see battery voltage at the relay coil terminal 86 (brown wire) which is powered via fuse 5/13

The relay is energised by the ECU pulling/connecting relay coil pin 85 to battery negative via the pink/black wire to ECU pin 15. 750 owners note that their ECU uses a different pin number, but the same principle.

A quick relay test, even without a multimeter, is key on, off/run to Off. Finger on the relay and off/run to Run. You should feel the relay click to on. If no click, use the wiring diag to check voltage supply to the relay coil.

Electrical relay test.
You can pull the relay out and connect its coil terminals 85 and 86 to the battery pos and neg. It should click. Even this is not a guarantee that the relay is good. If you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance across terminals 30 and 87. If you don't have a multimeter, connect one terminal of a 12V bulb to Batt pos, then the other bulb terminal to relay terminal 30 and relay terminal 87 to Batt neg. If the relay is OK, the bulb will light fully. If it does not light up or is dim, then the relay is stuffed.

When testing voltages at connectors etc. I use a safety pin bent straight so I can insert the sharp end into whatever I am testing and the other end provides a great place to clip or insert the multimeter positive lead.

I would do this at the fuel pump connector first to see if there was Vbatt at the tank/pump connector, then if there was no voltage, work back through the wiring to see where it "reappears"

Also bear in mind that bad grounds/connections to the frame can stuff things up as they are part of the circuit back to battery negative.

Worst case is the ECU stuffed, after of course checking voltages/power to it as per the diagram.
A quick test with key on and off/run to Run is to connect from relay coil terminal 85 to the frame and the relay should click and power to terminal 87. If no click, connect terminal 85 direct to battery negative. If it now clicks, then there is a bad ground. If still no click, the relay is stuffed or there is an ECU fault or wiring fault to it.

For those not familar with wiring diagrams, think of them like a road map/street directory. Just like these, a wiring diagram shows the route for the electricity to get from one point to another.

Richard

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts