Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im ready to pull the trigger on a new 2012 MTS. Both are available in my area. Is the touring worth the extra $3k?

Bill

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
the topic has come up more than a few times;), this is how it will play out;

those that have the "S" believe it is worth it, and those that don't, don't:D

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
i always get an internet ass-kicking if i so much as whisper that i like my standard non-ABS bike:mad:

:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
the topic has come up more than a few times;), this is how it will play out;

those that have the "S" believe it is worth it, and those that don't, don't:D
Well OF COURSE those that have the "S" think its worth it.
That's WHY they paid the extra and bought the "S".

The differences in the bikes are worth it, if they're worth it to YOU.

That's probably about as close to consensus that you're likely to get

·
Registered
154 Posts
Unless you're dead set on a new one, I can make you a killer deal on a used S - posted in classifieds.

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
exactly! and that's why it's just a joke, you know, with a :D and everything:D:D

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts

The differences in the bikes are worth it, if they're worth it to YOU.

That's probably about as close to consensus that you're likely to get
stop trying the make damn sense !

the OP posted a perfectly reasonable question that hasnt been asked before . I , for one , think that we should properly debate it , then have a poll , then after we finally decide which one is better , then have a fight over the fastest, coolest , most popular , best colour

;)

oh, and for the lumox - :D

·
Registered
237 Posts

the OP posted a perfectly reasonable question that hasnt been asked before . I , for one , think that we should properly debate it , then have a poll , then after we finally decide which one is better , then have a fight over the fastest, coolest , most popular , best colour

;)

Let's just go straight to the arm wrestling.

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts

;)

this is for Wild Bill (who hasn't really recieved an answer yet:));

get the "touring" model because the panniers are included (that's 900 bucks), and you get the Ohlins which are very nice, prob the best suspension bits out there. i have them on another Ducati and love them.

so, you get the Ohlins upgrade for 2100 bucks, i think that is a good deal IMO.

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
this is for Wild Bill (who hasn't really recieved an answer yet:));

get the "touring" model because the panniers are included (that's 900 bucks), and you get the Ohlins which are very nice, prob the best suspension bits out there. i have them on another Ducati and love them.

so, you get the Ohlins upgrade for 2100 bucks, i think that is a good deal IMO.
your next !

arm wrestling:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wild Bill-

since no one has even pretended to answer your actual question...

To me, the question is, what kind of riding are you going to do? IMHO the Touring S is the most versatile streetbike ever built- but you pay a premium for the versatility. If, like me, you commute some days, drone the highway others, and get to rip up twisties when you can- and you would enjoy having your ride optimized for each type of riding, the way that YOU like it, at the push of a button- then it's well worth it. If, on the other hand, you never touched the suspension settings on a previous ride, then the S might be overkill. The Standard has an excellent suspension, is simpler, and of course cheaper. Also, if you have thoughts about lowering your 1200, doing it would be much simpler and cheaper on a Standard. The bags will add $1000 or so if you want them.

FWIW, no one on this board who has bought an S has said "I wish I had saved the $ and gotten a standard". AND no one who's bought a standard has said "I wish I had sprung for the extra coin". Of course, you could be the first :p

I would add that if you go for the S, I'd pop the extra $ and get the EverRed extended warranty (if its still available). I love the ABS and DES systems- but I doubt anything could fail on either one that would cost LESS than $800. Since I love my S and plan to ride it forever the extra cost was a no brainer.

I'd also check out the used S another poster mentioned- if its still under warranty you can extend it, and save a lot. Mine was the dealer's demo- got $2000 off, the 600 mile service done, and all the upgrades sorted out before I got it.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I don't have a Multi, but some day I might. Maybe I'm just getting old but I can garontee if I can help it the forks won't have wires coming out the top. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts