Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading the attention thread of the 999... i noticed alot of 999r posters..

people freak the hell out when they see my 999r... in race trim, with my numbers under duct tape..... (with a headlight and taillight) leaned against a pole or a wall in front of my work.. a gas station..bar.. restaurant... etc..

i even have toured on it.. doing long stints up and down the west coast and into canada.. with no kick stand...

i had one guy telling me he has never seen one outside of a well kept garage or living room showcase.. and he was kinda mad at me? for riding it on the street.. and racing it.. i mean .. thats what its for right?

i ride mine daily.. and race it... ( to my race mechanics and main race sponsors headaches...for putting street miles on it )
here is my kickstand at mount baker in northern wahington on a ride into canada

here is my kickstand in eastern oregon in wamic..

·
Registered
605 Posts
I own an '06 Xerox. Motorcycles are to be ridden, not put on display. I have seen too many 'exotics' such as Bimota that never get ridden. I ride all of my multiple Bimota just as I ride all of my Ducs including the 74 Sport, the Superlight, the MHE 900 (although it is uncomfortable as all get out) and my D16RR. Indeed, around here, there are many of the latter out being ridden hard rather than in someone's living room getting a workout with a cloth and wax only. Dave

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i think i'd live with the extra weight and bolt on a kick stand for street riding,that looks like a pain in the ass for parking

·
Registered
342 Posts
i think i'd live with the extra weight and bolt on a kick stand for street riding,that looks like a pain in the ass for parking
Lol +1

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
+2 Kind of reminds me of having to think ahead when I'm pulling my trailer around, don't get caught in a situation where you can't back out.

I admire the riding around part, I get it, but the kickstand thing I don't get.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol. yea most people dont get it. i dont want to cut my race bodywork as the hole could be too big and low to pass tech for racing, (as far as being able to hold enough fluid in the event of a blown motor). Certainly dont want to be "that guy" that oils the track..

pretty sure the recess that allow the kickstand to be flush in stock bodywork allows the hole to be smaller, that allows it to fold out.. i kinda eyeballed it and decided no.

i do have a spare lower to cut for the street, but its last years paint job and it wouldnt match. (yes that is dorky). but mostly my excuse is i havent had time to cut it and get the thing to my painter. too busy riding!

it is on my list for the winter for sure.. cause riding in the rain with a belly pan full of water would be lame.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
"if one is concerned about putting miles on toy (bike, car, etc) because it will lose value, one can't really afford to own that toy."
"If you don't ride, it's just a rusting heap of metal."
Even if you don't put miles on that toy, it will still lose value.
I say enjoy any and all toys for what they were designed for.
A 999R in a garage or glass case is a offense to all the engineers who designed it for riding/racing.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I love my '06 Xerox, and even the attention it gets. The other day I was on the freeway and the two guys on the R6 and the GSXR in the next lane couldn't stop looking at it. They even came up to compliment me at the gas station.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yup, they are meant to be ridden. My '06 Xerox has 6200 miles on it and yes, it gets a lot of looks. It has been a bit ignored lately. Been riding the '09 1098R Bayliss LE quite a bit the past month, 1500 miles already. It really gets the attention!

Attachments

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,714 Posts
upon having received her from a seller in New Mexico.....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hahaha.. the butt.....

actually one of those girls came up to me and my friend and wanted to know where we were from.. she rides an R6... she was a local in Wamic where the picture was taken in the middle of nowhere in eastern oregon..... which is a town of literally like 300. and my bud was like.. go get your hot rod and ride with us to Bend! LOL...

but she was with a guy driving a big 4X4 who was wearing shorts.. silver cowboy boots, a basket ball jersey, a huge cowboy hat.. and a huge western belt and belt buckle on the outside of his athletic shorts that had no belt loops.... WTF??? the local dudes didnt like that their only talent liked us.. oh well...

·
Registered
7 Posts
dude, you are having altogether too much fun with your motorcycle

Well, this post sure put a smile on my face. Probably stands up fine and stable as long as you have something to lean the rear tire against and it's not on loose gravel.

What are you using for stands at the track for this? I am a newbie 749 owner and the pitbull I received with the bike ain't working with that cool knife like swingarm, and I'm not drilling it for spools.

I have seen and would love to get the spool axle mounts if money were no object, but at this point think I would prefer a stand that fits the arm. Any suggestions? My kid is around my bike often and I can't have it falling over!

Hey, I wonder what a ducati kickstand chime might sound like?

Helmet side up!

hdh

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have the same race bodywork from Catalyst Composites for my 999S, and I cut the hole so I could use my kickstand. Works well, and still fills up with water though when washing, he-he....

lol. yea most people dont get it. i dont want to cut my race bodywork as the hole could be too big and low to pass tech for racing, (as far as being able to hold enough fluid in the event of a blown motor). Certainly dont want to be "that guy" that oils the track..

pretty sure the recess that allow the kickstand to be flush in stock bodywork allows the hole to be smaller, that allows it to fold out.. i kinda eyeballed it and decided no.

i do have a spare lower to cut for the street, but its last years paint job and it wouldnt match. (yes that is dorky). but mostly my excuse is i havent had time to cut it and get the thing to my painter. too busy riding!

it is on my list for the winter for sure.. cause riding in the rain with a belly pan full of water would be lame.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts