Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new Monster 1100 I've found that often when blipping the throttle on downshifting it feels as though the engine is going to stall. It actually has stalled on 2 occasions. Have any other owners experienced this? I also struggled to get the bike cold started on my last ride - I'm hoping that's a one off...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry, mine hasn't stalled yet in 4000 km. It does take 2 tries sometimes to get it fired up when it's cold.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Used to have starting issues and occasional 'weird' rpm drops. Removed the charcoal canister last month and it's been smooth as butter. Coincidence? I dunno.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm bringing my bike in for its first service next week and will speak to the mechanic about the issue. Will let you know what he says.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hmmm. Found out about this stalling thing the hard way today :(

On downshift from 4th to 2nd heading into a left 35kph corner (thats 20mph) on the Oxley Hwy today it stalled. Ran wide. REALLY wide. Restarted. All ok.

Did it again going through into 55 flip flop, this time back wheel locked and I went into a ditch. Bike undamaged, Had to ride it home 400klms afterward.

Will be on the phone to the dealer as soon as they open tomorrow.

I too have noticed the "its a bitch to start cold" thing and also it feels like its going to cutout when closing the throttle sometimes.

SO UNIMPRESSED

·
Registered
230 Posts
hmmm. Found out about this stalling thing the hard way today :(

On downshift from 4th to 2nd heading into a left 35kph corner (thats 20mph) on the Oxley Hwy today it stalled. Ran wide. REALLY wide. Restarted. All ok.

Did it again going through into 55 flip flop, this time back wheel locked and I went into a ditch. Bike undamaged, Had to ride it home 400klms afterward.

Will be on the phone to the dealer as soon as they open tomorrow.

I too have noticed the "its a bitch to start cold" thing and also it feels like its going to cutout when closing the throttle sometimes.

SO UNIMPRESSED
this is horrible and dangerous!! maybe the idle has to be adjusted up?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's crazy how hit-or-miss these bikes seem to be for no explainable reason.

My M1100 has none of the issues people talk about on this board **knocking on wood** and I couldn't be happier with it. I also have no charcoal canister as pitbull mentioned...

Stalling out in corners is obviously incredibly dangerous. I wouldn't ride that bike again until you get it checked out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a sport classic that would sometimes stall as I was coming to a stop. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong. I tried puting some iridium plugs in, and the problem was solved. Someone said that it might have just been a bad plug, and just a new stock plug would have worked equally as well, and that the quality control over plugs in general isn't great; there are a lot of bad plugs that get distributed. My 1100 thankfully has no problem with stalling.

·
Premium Member
12,353 Posts
Had a cracked insulator on left horz cylinder they gave me a Champion plug for replacement ..Do your checks see what you can find .Trust no one? When a mechanic says he can"t find anything wrong that is a bad answer. It tells me I need to find a smarter mechanic.

I tell the apprentices to never say, I don't know ,but to say something like I'll have to look into that or Ihaven't got to the bottom of it yet..

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's crazy how hit-or-miss these bikes seem to be for no explainable reason.

My M1100 has none of the issues people talk about on this board **knocking on wood** and I couldn't be happier with it. I also have no charcoal canister as pitbull mentioned...

Stalling out in corners is obviously incredibly dangerous. I wouldn't ride that bike again until you get it checked out.
Apart from the 400ks I had to ride it home, it is in the garage until the mechanic gets it. I'll just have to ride Wendy's 695 until then :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Apart from the 400ks I had to ride it home, it is in the garage until the mechanic gets it. I'll just have to ride Wendy's 695 until then :)
Yeah, I guess you were kinda stuck for the ride home. Several people have mentioned bad plugs. I hope your fix is that simple.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks guys,

It's already booked in for Friday for the 1st service, so they are taking a look at it then.
The service manager has had a couple of examples and says it could be fuelling mixture, or plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This was my problem too.. fixed for $3k

I have an 09 M1100 that is 3 - 4 months old now. Same problem here brotha! I had a few scary moments where I was downshifting more than one gear or handle the clutch in and the engine just died... The most scary was coming down a slight hill to an intersection where I had to make a left.. Went to 2nd from 4th and the engine quit, I was coming up on the rear of a truck pretty quick while continuing to break and trying to hit the starter while attempting to watch out for the truck and still make the turn. It was hairy to say the least.

I can happily say that it the problem has been fixed. I am not so sure I am happy about what fixed it. My Termi full system, once fitted, has completely elimnated the stalling; hasn't happened once. Now for something like $3k to fix a stock bike, it seems really ridiculous to me. I guess I was lucky that I had bought the system with the bike but had to wait for it to arrive from Italy before I could have it installed. The month or so of riding before the 600 mile service and the full system install was the only reason I experienced what a stock m1100 is really like. I'd be pissed if I didn't have the cash to buy the system and was stuck with a stock bike that kept cutting out. I think it has a lot to do with the ECU base map which supposedly can't be changed because I was told at the dealer that fitting the full system and race ecu will really "smooth" out the 1100's ride. Seems to me that this is a known issue. I know people were waiting for the latest Power Commander to come out as it might be a much cheaper fix.

I am interested in others who have fitted a system or a DP Race ECU after riding the stock m1100 around for a few miles. Similar experiences?

Ride Safe!
sp00f

·
Registered
138 Posts
My bike runs flawless **knock on wood** with the Termi slip-ons and Race ECU, but I never had any issues before the kit. I installed the kit myself after the 600m service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This guys seems to be having the same problem. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=68987

Heard from the dealer today. They can't replicate any of the problems - millions of false neutrals, stalling at speed, that feeling of cutting out when blipping on downshifts.
Not impressed!
They've done the 1000k service, and are testing it again tomorrow.
I'll suggest iridium plugs.

Never spent 20grand on something I want to throw away within the frst 2 weeks. GRRRRRR

OH, and they (whomever assembles the bike) put the rear wheel on the wrong way and I am waiting on a replacement unit from Italy, to fix "Internal Cosmetic damage". So unhappy with this purchase.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mike - my friend that I told you about with the 1100 apparently had the same thing but his also would not start at times. He took it to the dealer 3 times. They also could not replicate the problem. He said that after he had really got into them they agreed to replace the ECU. After that the problem went away.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I had my M1100S with full termis, I never had any stalling issues (other than me being stupid). Tons of false neutrals, though. As for starting, it was rare it didn't start on the 1st attempt. But, it was in the garage 99% of the time overnight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll suggest iridium plugs.
Iridium plugs will do NOTHING for any kind of running problem, and if they do there was an issue with your old plugs, be it fouled, hair line crack in the insulator, wrong gap, worn electrode, etc.

The Iridium is a) a marketing scam and b) used for "wear" resistance - IE the electrode doesn't degrade as fast as it does in a standard plug.

IMO it sounds like the bike is lean...sounds like these bikes come entirely leaned out from the factory (and IMO it's not acceptable that you "need" 1k worth of exhaust and another 600 to have an ecu/dyno tuned map to get a new bike running right, even if it cost 5 grand). But, alas, one could say thank the government....

·
Registered
180 Posts
The transmission on my 1100 is Honda like in its smoothness and action with no false neutrals yet in 5 000 km.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts