Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I figured I'd share. I haven't had stalling issues, but now once in a while I do, it stalled once at -1000Km, 2x between 1000 and 5000km and now a couple more times with 6300kn on the clock.

But twice it has stalled in the middle of a stopped turn, i.e., at a dead stop making a sharp right turn at 3kph sort of thing. The first time was a quick pull of the clutch, but the other day at Yonge and King LOL in rush hour (the Bay St. crowd) I let the clutch out to turn onto Yonge from a dead stop. It died (after the clutch was out, but obviously at low rmps) and the entire bike wanted to drop. I'm a small guy so I really had to wrestle to not drop it. It stopped so violently that my wrist has been sore since. Yep I'm a wimp lol. (it was already agravated from a long trip last week so the sudden dead stop hurt LOL!)

I think it's time for me to be concerned with the stalling thing. Until the first 5000k, it was only when very hot that it happened so I didn't concern myself (got very good at keeping it cool even if it meant pulling over, never saw over 97C since like June or so), but the last 2 times the bike was at normal running temps, i.e. 80+-.

This stalling issue seems to be so ephemeral that I don't even know if it's worth bringing up to my dealer. They'll blame the Nemesis. They'll be ok with it, but won't know how to fix it, I suspect.

Has Ducati ever figured out what is causing this?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds electrical to me. Like a contact makes and breaks. Kill switch contacts? Kick Stand contacts? Something Ign.....?
Maybe, I dunno. When the engine dies there's a huge whirl like the starter or something. I wish I could explain it.

Very annoying and now after last time I'm worried about dropping the bike in a corner at slow speeds, so I just give it a ton of gas LOL...

Good way to get aggressive though LOL...

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Mine 999 stalled in corners, at lights, etc. Try putting in some new plugs. Make sure you gap them correctly ( the Champions I removed were gapped at 0.4+ and 0.3+) the service manual calls for 0.6-0.7 for 2003-04' your 1098 gaps will be different, see if this helps, also you can try to bump your fast idle lever to raise the idle. It seems that most stalling issues are solved by raising the idle a 500-800+ rpms.
However when my 999 consistantly stalled, it was solved by a new ECU that came w/ my Termignoni full exhaust kit. But try the plugs and fast idle lever. I believe that DNA had a service bulletin for ECU exchanges w/ regard to stalling issues, check that and see if it pertains to your model.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine 999 stalled in corners, at lights, etc. Try putting in some new plugs. Make sure you gap them correctly ( the Champions I removed were gapped at 0.4+ and 0.3+) the service manual calls for 0.6-0.7 for 2003-04' your 1098 gaps will be different, see if this helps, also you can try to bump your fast idle lever to raise the idle. It seems that most stalling issues are solved by raising the idle a 500-800+ rpms.
However when my 999 consistantly stalled, it was solved by a new ECU that came w/ my Termignoni full exhaust kit. But try the plugs and fast idle lever. I believe that DNA had a service bulletin for ECU exchanges w/ regard to stalling issues, check that and see if it pertains to your model.
That all makes a lot of sense (everything above). It 'feels' electrical or maybe gas related. Does the Nemesis/ECU need a very solid contact to work properly? I didn't have the right tool for that so I just did what I could, torque-wise.

My idle was about 1400rpm but Rev put it to around 1600 but it doesn't seem to affect anything, the motor just dies. Again, very occasionally...when I give it huge gas it's fine off the line - I mean more than I need to get the clutch out!

When I was at Rev he went to the front of the bike and adjusted the idle...where is that and do I need a Ducati tool for it? It seems to be all about mapping with this issue...

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
That all makes a lot of sense (everything above). It 'feels' electrical or maybe gas related. Does the Nemesis/ECU need a very solid contact to work properly? I didn't have the right tool for that so I just did what I could, torque-wise.

My idle was about 1400rpm but Rev put it to around 1600 but it doesn't seem to affect anything, the motor just dies. Again, very occasionally...when I give it huge gas it's fine off the line - I mean more than I need to get the clutch out!

When I was at Rev he went to the front of the bike and adjusted the idle...where is that and do I need a Ducati tool for it? It seems to be all about mapping with this issue...
I perused over your post and didn't notice that you included the fact that you installed a Nemisis ECU. The Nemisis just replaces the stock ECU....there's no piggy backing like the PCIII. When I installed my new ECU that came w/ my Termi kit I missed threading a battery box hold down screw through the PCIII ground wire....the bike turned over strong, but wouldn't start. I retraced my steps and found I missed the eyelet of the ground wire behind the battery box. Yours is so intermitent that I wonder if something is just loose enough-or take it to a dealer who can properly set up your Nemisis. Does your service light come on ??

·
Registered
90 Posts
+1 yellow blur
Check your kill switch circuit, look for a voltage drop across the switch or a loose connector (which could relate to stalling when the bars are turned).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts