Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, when I first bought my bike the switch on the clutch was broken, so the bike would NOT strat in gear, even WITH the clutch pulled in.
So I traced the wires and found where they went into the wiring harness. I then shorted them (permanently), so I could ALWAYS start the bike while in gear....clutch pullled in or not..
And it worked.
...go forward 6 months...

So today, the bike was not fully warmed and I stalled it. Well the bike would not start. Here I am sitting at a traffic light with cars behind me. So I paddled over to the side where I found neutral, added a little throttle and all ws well.
The bottom line is that I COULD NOT START THE BIKE UNLESS IT WAS IN NEUTRAL. That sucked.
But when I got home, I checked things out and I can start the bike in gear (clutch in, of course).
So what hapened? Any ideas? Anyone else see this?
Not a big fan of beeng stalled out in traffic...

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
This is also the current state of my bike, it will not start unless in neutral. I suspect there is somerhing wrong with that switch located behind the clutch lever which is supposed to allow it to start in gear when the clutch lever is pulled in.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
A bit of clarification may be in order. Prior to MY 03, the ST's had a device which prevented the bike from being started when the sidestand was down.

In MY 03, something was changed to allow the bike to be started with the sidestand down, but only when the bike is in neutral. Part of this new system is an electrical switch located behind the clutch lever. I believe this switch is a good place to start looking for problems for those MY 03 and later ST's which will only start when the bike is in neutrtal and will not start when the bike is in gear, sidestand up, and the clutch lever pulled in.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, there is switch located behind the clutch lever which allows the bike to be started in gear.
I traced those wires and permanently shorted them out, so I could ALWAYS start the bike in gear. (Side note: I always start any m/c with the clutch pulled in by habit.)
This tested out fine. And it seems to work fine most of the time.
But the ONE time where I really needed it...it didnt seem to work. I had to put the bike in neutral to get it started.
It's a mystery I guess.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
ward said:
Curiosity driven tangential shift:

When you had the 'no-start' situation at the lights, was the Neutral light on? Not 'was it in Neutral?', but was the light, itself, on?
In my cases, the bike was in gear and the neutral light was not on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've experienced the same symtoms on my 04 ST3, but I can add one more. Sometimes my bike will not start untill I turn the ingition switch off and back on even with it in neutral and the clutch pulled in. This happens even if the bike is just being started normally ( not stalled ). I just write it off as one of those character things.

·
Registered
319 Posts
After 2002 model year, all the ECU will disable the bike form starting if you turn the ignition key to the ON position but do not hit the starter button within a specific time. I am not sure how many seconds you have before hitting the starter but I think it is somewhere around 15 to 20 seconds.

As far as not being able to start the bike in gear when the clutch is pulled, more than likely the clutch lever safety switch is not adjusted right and is right at the border line of being activated or deactivated when the lever is pulled in. Just loosen the mounting screws and adjust the position of the switch.

-Fariborz

·
Registered
442 Posts
joe_cole said:
I've experienced the same symtoms on my 04 ST3, but I can add one more. Sometimes my bike will not start untill I turn the ingition switch off and back on even with it in neutral and the clutch pulled in. This happens even if the bike is just being started normally ( not stalled ). I just write it off as one of those character things.
Try using your other black key. The situation you discribed is common and seems to be the immobilizer is having trouble reading the inscription in the key, some keys are stronger than others. This worked for me as one of my black keys gives no problems and the other sometimes does.

Jerry

·
Registered
319 Posts
All sage advice, but just to throw into the mix: I seem to recall that some early '00 Guzzis had problems like this, as the neutral light was involved in the safety circuit. With the light on, the clutch wasn't needed, but with the light off the clutch was... and a few owners had issues with this getting out of whack.

For eg. If the Neutral light wasn't on, they couldn't start it, regardless of clutch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here's how my '04 ST3 works:

- Bike in neutral, sidestand down, starts right up
- Sidestand up, clutch in, starts right up

So far, so good -- just like the manual says. On occasion, however, I'll have the sidestand down and put the bike in gear, so the bike kills the engine like you'd expect. At that point, I must put the bike in neutral or it refuses to restart. You'd think I could just put the sidestand up, pull the clutch in, and go, but for some reason, it wants to see neutral. Took me a couple of embarassing stalls to sort that one out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
jerry5 said:
Try using your other black key. The situation you discribed is common and seems to be the immobilizer is having trouble reading the inscription in the key, some keys are stronger than others. This worked for me as one of my black keys gives no problems and the other sometimes does.

Jerry

Jerry, ever since I switched to my other black key I havent had to reboot the system once. Thanks, Joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.