1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sad to hear of this. True artisans, those guys. I had a staintune on my 87 MW BK75s back in the day, popped on it in order to hear a nice three-cylinder exhaust burble over that irritating water pump and misc gear whining which drowned out the exhaust note of the stock can. that pipe was a work of art. Wish them well!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,291 Posts
Sad news.
A mate here, "The Rigger", had Staintune on his SS 1000DS, the crackle/exhaust note was like no other.
If I did not already have DP/Remus CF, that would have been extremely high on my shopping list.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
WELCOME BACK CRAIG?. The talk was they were setting up overseas as production costs were to high here. They were only trying to sell the Aussie side. Well that’s what I heard mid last year. That’s how I read it when I got a mid pipe off them for a customers bike. Maybe things have changed. Will be a pity because the were craftsman and not two-bit assemblers.

·
Official Retired Person
7,326 Posts
Really like their products. Have a pair of repro style mufflers on my 73 BMW R75/5 and a pair of reverse cone mufflers on my 07 Ducati GT1000. Both sets beautiful, well made & completely different on sound.

Hope they get things figured out & stay around. For future riders, don't you know.

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
I have a Staintune system on my SS. Beautiful work, sounds great. My Harley buddies think it sounds like a small block Chevy.

·
Señor Member
8,186 Posts
I had found a used set at Pro Italia’s garage sale for cheap. They were trashed in my accident. When I wanted to replace them I couldn’t find a set, new or used. Occasionally I will do a search for a set as I really liked the look and sound of them.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That's sad. I had/have Staintunes on both of my Ducati Monsters. I have been pleased with them.

I also ordered and used one in a pharmaceutical cleanroom once. (I'm an engineer in medical technology.)

They had a spray dryer in a cleanroom making a dried powder product, that was supplied with air by an eductor (aka jet pump), which was very loud. The eductor came from the supplier with a muffler, but it had materials that were not allowed in a cleanroom, so I had to find a way to quiet this thing with cleanroom compatible materials.

There was another eductor in the lab, about half the airflow of the one in the cleanroom. So I went down to the garage, and pulled one of the Staintunes off my Ducati, brought it in to the lab, and hooked it up to test the idea. I wasn't sure how well it would work, since a motorcycle is a pulsed flow outward, and the eductor is a steady airflow inward, but it brought the noise down really well.

The eductor in the lab had about the same airflow as one cylinder of my Duc, so I went to the Staintune website, and looked for a bike with a single muffler design, and twice that airflow, to match the one in the cleanroom. The Suzuki Bandit 1200 fit the bill, so I ordered one of those. It took a bit of convincing to persuade the purchasing department that this was a legitimate piece of pharmaceutical equipment, but I got it and it worked just fine.

PhilB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts