Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the slip on's for my ST-3. Is the install as easy as it appears? Looks like unscrewing the bracket below the pannier's and remove the spring where the exhaust joins the manifolds?
Am I missing any little tricks or other pitfalls? Be kind, I'm in the shallow end of the mechanic's gene pool!
Thanks, Jack.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Childsplay. Really. You'll see how easy it is when you look at 'em.

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, it really is an easy project. Couple of tips.

As I remember, the screws holding the slip-ons to the brackets have spacers and a rubber bushing to contend with - no big deal, pay attention when you unscrew it and put everything back exactly the same way.

Be prepared to tug or push the slip-ons the get it to line up correctly with the screw hole.

It is a 15 minute project.

Peter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Staintunes- Beware!

Fitment problems are common with Staintunes due to the inconsistent exhaust bracket configurations used by Ducati on the ST models.
After I got my Staintunes for my 1999 ST2, I had to replace the left and right brackets to the more "angled" versions(the 2000-2001 ST2 and ST4 part).
To their credit, Staintune knew what the problem was immediately when I contacted them on it. I took 2 weeks and $50 of parts to get the pipes on right, but I think they look and sound great after installation.

·
Registered
299 Posts
psh1959 said:
Be prepared to tug or push the slip-ons the get it to line up correctly with the screw hole.
Yes, I did have to do that... but after a few heat-up and cool-downs, the same stress is no longer on the screw.

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Took me 15 minutes

Yes, to echo the above. It only took a few minutes. Probably an obvious tip, related to the fitment problems. Keep everything as loose as possible until you get everything started. It can help to loosen up the peg brackets themselves.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I had no problems with putting Staintunes (oval shape) on my 2005 ST3.

The bracket has to be removed from the original pipes and bolted onto the new pipes - the bracket has slots for some adjustment, otherwise a piece of cake. I left the bolts loose until all was seated and ran the engine for half a minute prior to fully tightening.

I used Loctite on the bolts even though there are spring washers, for peace of mind.

They do sound nice :D :D :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great - I am about to order a set of Staintunes for my 05 ST3 :)

DocMV

BAZ_777 said:
I had no problems with putting Staintunes (oval shape) on my 2005 ST3.

The bracket has to be removed from the original pipes and bolted onto the new pipes - the bracket has slots for some adjustment, otherwise a piece of cake. I left the bolts loose until all was seated and ran the engine for half a minute prior to fully tightening.

I used Loctite on the bolts even though there are spring washers, for peace of mind.

They do sound nice :D :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts