Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Staintune slip-on exhausts on my 2007 GT1000. The left side was straight forward however I had some problems with the right side. Apparently there is no aluminum spacer ring on the right side so the I could not reinstall the washer with rubber bushing on the side that attaches to the mounting hole (behind the passenger peg) as the angle would not permit. Hence I can only used the washer with rubber bushing only on the outside just to temporary mount the right side exhaust. Does anybody have the same problem? Any suggestion is welcomed. I am scheduled to take the bike for maintenance at the dealer next week however would love to ride this weekend.

Regards.

CalGT1000

·
Registered
216 Posts
Same here, left side straight on, right side pain in the a...In the end I grinded about 1mm off the pipe, as I figured out it wasn´t possible to shift the pipe further onward. Only then the washer would fit and finally everything went in place...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here, left side straight on, right side pain in the a...In the end I grinded about 1mm off the pipe, as I figured out it wasn´t possible to shift the pipe further onward. Only then the washer would fit and finally everything went in place...
Thank you, I thought I was the only one having the problem. I will get a spacer from the dealer and see if the exhaust will mount properly. If not, I will start grinding like you suggested.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Have either of you contacted Staintune or whoever you bought them from about this? I've been considering them myself as I love the look and sound, but will hold off unless this is resolved. Paying $1100 and then having to rig\modify them in order to get them to fit is ridiculous.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have either of you contacted Staintune or whoever you bought them from about this? I've been considering them myself as I love the look and sound, but will hold off unless this is resolved. Paying $1100 and then having to rig\modify them in order to get them to fit is ridiculous.
I just spoke to the Staintune dealer (I could not reach him yesterday when I installed the exhaust due to time zone difference). He looked up the Ducati parts schematic and I am definitely missing an aluminum spacer on the right side (Ducati must have failed to install it). He said that trick to mount any exhaust that does not align exactly is to loosen the clamps all the way up to the head pipe. This should give more flexibility to mount the Staintune to the right passenger footpeg. I will try it tomorrow and report back. Even with the minor difficulty I am having, I am very happy with the Staintune look and sound. I took it out for a ride without installing the FatDuc sensor (my Staintune deal included in the price of the exhaust) and did not have any problem with back firing at all.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I just spoke to the Staintune dealer (I could not reach him yesterday when I installed the exhaust due to time zone difference). He looked up the Ducati parts schematic and I am definitely missing an aluminum spacer on the right side (Ducati must have failed to install it). He said that trick to mount any exhaust that does not align exactly is to loosen the clamps all the way up to the head pipe. This should give more flexibility to mount the Staintune to the right passenger footpeg. I will try it tomorrow and report back. Even with the minor difficulty I am having, I am very happy with the Staintune look and sound. I took it out for a ride without installing the FatDuc sensor (my Staintune deal included in the price of the exhaust) and did not have any problem with back firing at all.
Glad to hear Cal! Maybe Ducati missed installing the spacers on a lot of our GTs? :eek: The Stains do indeed give the GT that nice 70s vibe.

So do you feel they negate the need for the FatDuc? That's been on the top of my list of stuff to get, (at least until after 1/2 hour of cleaning\lubing my chain I realized I really need a Pit Bull rear stand:)), so I'm real curious about the impressions of people like yourself who are running them with Staintunes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to hear Cal! Maybe Ducati missed installing the spacers on a lot of our GTs? :eek: The Stains do indeed give the GT that nice 70s vibe.

So do you feel they negate the need for the FatDuc? That's been on the top of my list of stuff to get, (at least until after 1/2 hour of cleaning\lubing my chain I realized I really need a Pit Bull rear stand:)), so I'm real curious about the impressions of people like yourself who are running them with Staintunes.
I just correctly installed the Staintune on the right side as per the Staintune dealer's suggestion to loosen up the clamps (near the oxygen sensor and the head pipe). Took me about 10 minutes and I still need the aluminum spacer to make it perfect. As per the FatDuc, I intend to ride without it for a week and then install it to see the difference. The Staintune without the FatDuc runs fine and I do feel an improvement in the midrange.

I am looking for a rear stand also. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine only had the spacer on the left-hand side also, but the parts book shows spacers each side.
Thanks for the information; at least I am not alone. It is a minor issue however strange for the manufacturer to have this type of quality control. My rear tail light was not properly aligned (shifted to the left) and the dealer fixed it under warranty. It was also missing a rubber gromet-type spacer.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
. . .I am looking for a rear stand also. What do you recommend?
My research has me favoring the Pitbull. My parts\shop manager at my dealer recommends it, and a lot of people here seem to use it. The Webbikeworld guy likes it as well. They make one specifically for our bikes, and it sounds like it's pretty easy to use.

Glad to hear the Stains are working out afterall, and I look forward to your impressions once you've installed the FatDuc!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I don't think this is a quality control issue; I think that the ommission of the right-hand side spacer was necessary to align the silencers correctly with the original exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think this is a quality control issue; I think that the ommission of the right-hand side spacer was necessary to align the silencers correctly with the original exhaust pipes.
Noted with thanks. It is a bit unusual that the Ducati parts schematic has spacer on both sides. My Staintune dealer looked it up. I am taking the bike to the dealer for sevice tomorrow and I will confirm with them if the design requires a spacer on the right side or not (will post the finding later).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noted with thanks. It is a bit unusual that the Ducati parts schematic has spacer on both sides. My Staintune dealer looked it up. I am taking the bike to the dealer for sevice tomorrow and I will confirm with them if the design requires a spacer on the right side or not (will post the finding later).
I just got the bike back from the dealer today. The sevice department representative at my dealer (Munroe Motors) looked up the microfiche on the spacer issue and told me that there is supposed to be no spacer on either side. He also checked the bikes that he had on the floor and some had spacer on the left side only. He told me since there are no parts on the microfiche, he could not even order it for me as there is no part number. Again, it is a minor issue for me and the Staintune is secured so I am not going to worry about it.

I also had a spreading tank issue (on the right side only). The dealer installed some washers to lengthen the reach of the metal brace. The tank is now firm again. The service department representative checked if Ducati has recalled the tank and it is negative at the moment.

·
Registered
603 Posts
From the illustration, you can see that the muffler hangers are suspended by two rubber grommets with a steel spacer (or bung if you prefer). Although this illustration only shows these parts on the right muffler for clarity, actually both mufflers use these same parts.

Without the spacer/bung to center the bracket, the muffler will not hang correctly. The trick to installing these and any other slip-on mufflers is to first loosen the head pipe fittings so that there is some play in the parts. Then install the mufflers and lastly tighten the head pipe fittings.

Also, when fitting the FatDuc, pay particular attention to the wire lables on the original loom. The fuel pump uses the same style connector as the O2 sensor and can be easily confused with the O2 lead.

/Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry to but in guys but i have an Anderson stand for my S1K its fantastic http://www.andersonstands.com/

I just correctly installed the Staintune on the right side as per the Staintune dealer's suggestion to loosen up the clamps (near the oxygen sensor and the head pipe). Took me about 10 minutes and I still need the aluminum spacer to make it perfect. As per the FatDuc, I intend to ride without it for a week and then install it to see the difference. The Staintune without the FatDuc runs fine and I do feel an improvement in the midrange.

I am looking for a rear stand also. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Part no: 716.1.116.1B Spacer????? May be your parts man needs glasses??
Thank you for the tip. I called the dealer and he looked up the microfiche again. He indicated that 716.1.116.1B Spacer is the one used inside the rubber gromet itself. I have that on both sides. However the aluminum spacer (I'd say about 1" in diameter and 1/4" thickness) that mounts against the steel surface of the grommet itself is missing on my right side. I looked at a couple of Sports Classics on the dealer floor and they also only have the aluminum spacer on the left side only (just like mine).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From the illustration, you can see that the muffler hangers are suspended by two rubber grommets with a steel spacer (or bung if you prefer). Although this illustration only shows these parts on the right muffler for clarity, actually both mufflers use these same parts.

Without the spacer/bung to center the bracket, the muffler will not hang correctly. The trick to installing these and any other slip-on mufflers is to first loosen the head pipe fittings so that there is some play in the parts. Then install the mufflers and lastly tighten the head pipe fittings.

Also, when fitting the FatDuc, pay particular attention to the wire lables on the original loom. The fuel pump uses the same style connector as the O2 sensor and can be easily confused with the O2 lead.

/Mike
Thanks, Mike. I took your tip and installed the right side in 10 minutes (as indicated). As per the spacer, perhaps I was not clear. The spacer between the grommets are there on both sides. However on the left side, there is an aluminum spacer about 1" in diameter and 1/4" thick that mounts against the steel surface of the grommet itself. This part does not exist on the right side. A couple of Sports Classics on the dealer floor also have the aluminum spacer on the left only. This part does not show up on the microfiche.

I will try the FatDuc next week.

I also had the progressive springs installed with the stock oil viscocity (instead of 15 wt that came with the kit, just to start out). If I had known the springs would make such a difference, I would have had it done the first day I got the bike. I have to say that it was the most significant improvement I made on the bike.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts