Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering about what the group thinks about adding products like Sta-bil to the gas for winter use?
I live in Wisconsin and the winter has not been to bad lately so I have been out riding atleast a few times a month. Would you still put some in?
Bruce

·
Registered
97 Posts
bjclay said:
Hi,
I was wondering about what the group thinks about adding products like Sta-bil to the gas for winter use?
I live in Wisconsin and the winter has not been to bad lately so I have been out riding atleast a few times a month. Would you still put some in?
Bruce
It's more about how long the same gas stays in your tank than the time of the season. Gas can start to go bad in around a couple months. It gums up and is a real pain to clean up. If you aren't going through a tank of gas every 1 1/2 to 2 months I'd put in the Stabil.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Note too that it works best in fresh gas. If you add it to gas that's already "gone off", it won't do you any good.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I start putting Sta-bil in the tank early in November, even though I try to ride through the end of Dec (snow permitting). I also will add it during March because the bike can sit based on the WI weather. I've never heard that Sta-bil really hurts anything, so I'd rather be safe than sorry

I had to have the carbs on my R6 taken apart and cleaned because the previous owner never properly stabilized that gas for winter storage. It bit me in the a$$ this past year.

·
Registered
424 Posts
bjclay said:
Would you still put some in?
It couldn't hurt, and like was said earlier, add it to a fresh tank of gas.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
bjclay said:
Hi,
Bruce
Cheap insurance.. Even here in NC, I use it in my tractor and the MC's. You never know how/when the weather is going to get cold for a while and they may not move. Been a nice winter so far here, but ..

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I have used it in everything that sits for extended periods. It works. Use it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've stored my ST with Sta-bil in the tank for the past four years with no problems. I add Sta-bil to a fresh tank of gasoline and take the bike for a short ride to mix it and get it down into the fuel system. The only thing I've noticed is that the exhaust smells "kind of funny" when I fire up the bike the following spring season but that goes away with the next batch of fresh gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts