Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been casually looking at '02/'03 ST4S's for sale and came across an '02 with low miles , Ferracci carbon exhaust, performance air box with K&N filter and Power Commamder. Owner claims it was dyno tuned by Ferracci to 144 Rear wheel horsepower.
I thought stock it was 110 at the rear wheel, makes me think that's a huge gain for bolt on mods. (Is it possible?)
Any thoughts from you 4S tuners out there?

·
Registered
598 Posts
110 is the most one can hope to see for stock RWHP. When I had high compression pistons in mine, along with 996 cams, modded air box, very mild head work, exhaust, tuning by DucShop it dynoed @ 129 RWHP. I was told that a big bore kit would add another 10... Given differences from dyno to dyno 144 is a possibility given all those mods, but just bolt ons... RobertVP

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking that he miss read his dyno chart(says 144 in his ad) 30 hp gain sent up the red flag, maybe it was 114. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Regardless of numbers, if priced right get it.

If he's selling based on a mere tune and purported hp increase, he's nuts. Using a dyno is only a tool to get the best tune possible. It is not a magic wand to 'create' hp.

It is a nice machine, but not at a premium. After all it was a 'tune up' and it was years ago (they've been closed for quite some time). Make an offer for a reasonable amount based on overall condition and mileage.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Personally I would avoid it. Bike is now 16 years old main concern for me who has owned one that long is rockers and loom issues waiting inside there. One is expensive the other time consuming. I would want a bike absolutely stock or close to it.

Either way good luck

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The price is right, it will need full tune, tires, and the fork and shock resprung/rebuilt for my weight. Kept in heated garage. Just mulling it over at this point...probably just enough for someone else to buy it!

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
That's what snow skiing is for...

I thought snow skiing was for orthopedic surgeons to be able to buy cool new toys in the spring?

The ST4s is a excellent bike. I've had no troubles with mine and I've owned it since 2005. 144 is certainly optimistic, but maybe it has the FBF big bore kit as someone else mentioned. Someone here used to have an ST4s with that kit, don't remember who (Fishmonger?), but maybe they will post up if they are still around. In any case, if the guy is quoting dyno numbers from FBF, maybe he still has the paperwork. It would likely list any other work done to the bike beyond a dyno mapped Power Commander, if any.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've made a couple of donations(boat/car payments) to my local Ortho surgical team, part of the game I guess!
This bike is stock except, pipes, air box and power commmander.
I think he misread or was misinformed on dyno numbers, no matter , it's still a nice bike.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an St2 could do that too if wanted but I like the ST platform as is. All I would do is lower the pegs,(orthopedic need from other winter pursuits), tune it up, Dunlop Roadsmart's, suspension tune up and ride. Sounding better by the post!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
So put us out of our misery. What is the asking price for this Isle of Man race bike?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Sounds like a good starting point to contact and look at it. Is it the ABS model?

Questions to ask:
**Age of tires;
**Age of belts;
**Last time chain and sprockets were changed;
**When was the Fast by Ferracci tune? As mentioned before, it had to be several years ago.
**The add-ons you mention are nice (cans, computer and air box. But you want to make sure you're not buying a whole box of deferred maintenance.

These are very nice machines. Good luck. Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts