Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was finally warm enough today to venture outside and work on stuff including the bike.
I put a new battery on, switched on the ignition, all the lights came on as expected, but it won't start.
No priming noises coming from the fuel pump.
I guess it's a relay or something, but does anybody know where to look first ?

Thanks. I should know the answer to this, but I don't.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Items to check:

Battery voltage
Fuses (pull and reseat)
Relays under the seat
Negative ground
ECU ground

If it's the newer bike, unplug and replug the dash display, if the older bike, check immobilizer connections (general ST4s info).

Also, while you have the side panels off, check the condition of your regulator harness on the left side.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I swapped the relays on the left of the dash over and no change.
I swapped two more over under the seat. Also no change.
Then I kicked the tyres for a bit and then it primed.
There's not enough juice in the battery to turn it over though, so I guess I'm looking at a new battery.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
If it's a brand new battery, have the shop bench test it. If it checks out ok, there might be some corrosion in your contacts or cabling.

Hope it works out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Based on your description, it sounds as if one of the relays or relay contacts was bad.
One other thing to check is the side stand interlock switch. Dunno here, I'm just throwing out ideas.

Do you have a charger? I use one that I plug into the accessory outlet. It is slow (low amps) but works well to keep the battery up.
Jason

·
Super Moderator
5,118 Posts
Try taking a wire brush to your batter terminal and all the bits that connect to them. I found that a yearly rigorous scraping of the metal bits followed by a light coating of dielectric grease keeps the electrical gremlins at bay. Even if they look good...a light bit of corrosion can wreak havoc.

·
7,733 Posts
Did you check the starter relay to see it's not backed out? :)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
We trouble shot a stranger's ST4s on the Dragon 3 years ago. Turned out that slapping the tank DID THE TRICK to get the pump going. Did this after VERIFYING 12V all the way to the connector under the tank... Maybe a dead spot in the fuel pump? (as you said, "kicking the tyres...")

1 - 8 of 8 Posts