Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help I did the belts and valves on my 2003 st4s now the relay under the seat clicks and the bike will not start. I tryed the red key black key I don't know is it the ecu the immo what am I missing?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Random question but:

Did you disconnect the battery?

Does it try to turn over at all?

Do you have the kill switch on? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I unhooked the batt it turns over, but will not fire checked for spark nothing and the bikes kill switch is set to run

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gday..

Check the little white plug behind the solenoid(?) next to the battery.. They have a tendency to come loose..Chuck a cable tie (zip tie) on it anyway if it hasn't got one while your at it.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Please help I did the belts and valves on my 2003 st4s now the relay under the seat clicks and the bike will not start. I tryed the red key black key I don't know is it the ecu the immo what am I missing?
If it was the Immo then the orange light would stay lit.
If it was the little white plug on the starter relay then it would not turn-over on the button.

Was it running before the valve/belt job ?
If so I would revisit everything that you disturbed and check that it is all correctly refitted , that usually does the trick.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Mine did the same thing after my engine build! It was the earth for the ECU, I had forgotten to reconnect it!

John

·
2,650 Posts
Mine did the same thing after my engine build! It was the earth for the ECU, I had forgotten to reconnect it!

John
I was thinking that aswell but couldn't remember if the engine would turn on the button , obvioulsy it can LOL !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was running before, I checked the white plug and the ground to the ecu. I've got a led light on the dash and it's on.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The ECU may have become dislodged. With the battery disconnected try removing it have a blow on both pins and sockets and replace

·
2,650 Posts
It was running before, I checked the white plug and the ground to the ecu. I've got a led light on the dash and it's on.
If its Orange then thats the Immo light which should go off.
If you have used the Red key then it seems your Immo has failed.
I had it happen non my '02 and it was very frustrating because everybody kept saying how unlikely it was , including my dealer !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a way to test it or bypass the immo? How much do those run? What a pain I've been chasing my tail with this thing.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Make sure everything you messed with connections-wise is back together correctly. New (to you) immobilizers can be found on eBay occasionally, but that will only solve part of your problem IF the thing is bad. The red key is matched to the immobilizer, not the ECU. The ECU gets matched to the immobilizer with the red key. If you buy an immobilizer, make sure it comes with the red key!

You can also get your ECU flashed with the immobilizer function disabled (Huston SBK, Gotham Cycles to name a few). If you do need a new immobilizer, that would be the cheapest, easiest way I'd think.

I would definitely go back and double and triple check you didn't forget a plug or something though... This is very unusual to have happen, especially if it worked when you took the bike apart.

First rule of any troubleshooting: Who did what last; start from there.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Did you do the fuel filter also? Are you hearing the fuel pump priming? I once forgot to plug the fuel pump back in.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Another thought. Check to be sure the antenna around the key switch is pluged in and the wires are not damaged. Did you try to use the code card?

·
2,650 Posts
Make sure everything you messed with connections-wise is back together correctly. New (to you) immobilizers can be found on eBay occasionally, but that will only solve part of your problem IF the thing is bad. The red key is matched to the immobilizer, not the ECU. The ECU gets matched to the immobilizer with the red key. If you buy an immobilizer, make sure it comes with the red key!

You can also get your ECU flashed with the immobilizer function disabled (Huston SBK, Gotham Cycles to name a few). If you do need a new immobilizer, that would be the cheapest, easiest way I'd think.

I would definitely go back and double and triple check you didn't forget a plug or something though... This is very unusual to have happen, especially if it worked when you took the bike apart.

First rule of any troubleshooting: Who did what last; start from there.
A new immo is virgin and will connect using the original red key sequencing.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
If he were to need a new one, that may be the case. If he were to find one on eBay, I see them for sale with keys, locks, and sometimes ECU. When you buy a new one, where does the code card come into play? Do you get a new card, or does the card match the key? Still think this is going to be somthing simple, but you never know. If it comes to it, and it were my bike, I am pretty sure I would send the ECU off for a reflash and eliminate the dumb thing! What good is it really? If some one was going to take your bike, they are not going to try and start it and ride off. It will just get picked up and loaded in a van!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok check over everything again& the antenna it all seams fine. So if I get the ecu reflashed I no longer need the immo? I'm starting to think that is what this is the immo, if its some weird thing it always seams to happen to me. I just want to say thanks to everyone for your help.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Did you try the code card? Never had to do it, but it is there for the reason of a failure of some kind. The instructions for how to do it are in the owner's manual and the codes are on the card. I'd at least give that a try, out of curiosity if for nothing else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah my card is gone, who knows we're guess I would have kept better track of that. So a reflashed ecu or a new immo is my only choices. Thanks for all the help peeps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts