Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I insane ?

I'm thinking of selling my ST4s to move to the PaulSmart 1000LE

It's just soooooooooo beautifull .. I'm in lust !!

However. me thinks that indeed , it is just lust, and, that after the newness wears off, I'll be pining for my ST4s

Comments ??

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
mrmuddy said:
Am I insane ?

I'm thinking of selling my ST4s to move to the PaulSmart 1000LE

It's just soooooooooo beautifull .. I'm in lust !!

However. me thinks that indeed , it is just lust, and, that after the newness wears off, I'll be pining for my ST4s

Comments ??
How do you use your ST4s? If you tour with it, the Paul Smart isn't going to be a replacement. I'd love a Paul Smart too but there's no way I would sell my ST4s to get one. I like Sport Touring too much! :cool:

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Turbo said:
How do you use your ST4s? If you tour with it, the Paul Smart isn't going to be a replacement.
Why not?

Actually, I prefer my SS1000DS for touring over my ST2. My ST2 wins as the grocery-getter, though.

Tom

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wait for the GT 1000 and set it up for touring. The ergos are much better and the handlng will rival the PS. :)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
st2lemans said:
Why not?

Actually, I prefer my SS1000DS for touring over my ST2. My ST2 wins as the grocery-getter, though.

Tom
Because most of the rest of us are human and need slightly better ergonomics to tour long distances!

There's no way I could tour with a Paul Smart. I ache enough at the end of a 400 mile day with my ST4s. If touring on a Paul Smart floats your boat, then great. Wouldn't work for me.

T

·
0 Posts
Paul smart...so much cooler and wont age you nearly as much! oo man thats gonna bring on some hateful responses, no but seriously its just so sexy, and so is the st4s! but the st4s is def an older generation bike...get the paul smart...

·
comrade moderator
26,768 Posts
The Paul Smart is ergonomically way harsher than the SS, which is harsher than the ST.

You'd better be real honest with yourself about what you expect the bike to do. You may be bitterly dissapointed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
was in Rome for the hols. went to the Duc shop--saw a race only PS......

was beautiful :)

joe

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Chuckracer said:
The Paul Smart is ergonomically way harsher than the SS, which is harsher than the ST.

You'd better be real honest with yourself about what you expect the bike to do. You may be bitterly dissapointed.
The Paul Smart is ergonomically identical to my SS. And my ST is close, as it has clipons and rearsets.

Tom

·
comrade moderator
26,768 Posts
Ya know, Tom, it seems like you are always right there in the wings, just waiting to contradict me some how, some way.

The bars on the Paul Smart are way lower than on the SS, which in turn are lower than the ST. This is fact. If you've put clip ons on your SS and ST, well then that would change things, wouldn't it? Your bikes would no longer have the stock bars, therefore the stock position. At that point your statment means jack shit.

Jesus...this is such a cool forum, despite you.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think you are right RJ... they may not have much diff than a SS, but they are LOW. I had an '02 900SS for two years and the ergos were very committed. Needlessly so imo. Bologna made this Paul Smart replica, for sure a replica in the ergos measure. Reading reports of owners pre-ordering these bikes and finding the comfort to be an unexpected challenge.

·
Registered
245 Posts
IMO, The PS is a niche bike, made to be ridden on weekends and to events when the weather is nice and the sun is shining. I do not believe it is made or designed to be ridden 8,000-10,000 miles a year. It could be, but why would you destroy the value of such a limited production machine by doing so.

I would really like to have one, it would see maybe 1000 miles a year. I would take it over any of the modern liquid cooled 99....ect bikes, but thats just me. But in no way would I ever tour or compile lots of miles on it. It would not see rain- ever. Thats why God made Suzuki's and Honda's. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
DesmoEd said:
IMO, The PS is a niche bike, made to be ridden on weekends and to events when the weather is nice and the sun is shining. I do not believe it is made or designed to be ridden 8,000-10,000 miles a year. It could be, but why would you destroy the value of such a limited production machine by doing so.

I would really like to have one, it would see maybe 1000 miles a year. I would take it over any of the modern liquid cooled 99....ect bikes, but thats just me. But in no way would I ever tour or compile lots of miles on it. It would not see rain- ever. Thats why God made Suzuki's and Honda's. :)
i think u is right

·
Registered
523 Posts
sfarson said:
I think you are right RJ... they may not have much diff than a SS, but they are LOW. I had an '02 900SS for two years and the ergos were very committed. Needlessly so imo. Bologna made this Paul Smart replica, for sure a replica in the ergos measure. Reading reports of owners pre-ordering these bikes and finding the comfort to be an unexpected challenge.
I test rode a 999 and then the Sport1000 and found the Sport1000 to be noticably more comfortable... not VFR like but definitely more acceptable for everyday cafe racing... plus its easy to get risers on the Sport1000 b/c of no fairing to get in the way...

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are you thinking!!!!

Wait just a minute, you are thinking of doing what!!! First off I don't claim to be the expert on motorcycles like a few of the people on this forum. However I do own a 2002 ST4s and I have owned a few other bikes in my 37 years of life so I can only state the facts as they relate to me. I LOVE DUCATI MOTORCYCLES! and I would love to own one of each however my pocket book will not allow this to happen. So here it is. The other day I went to my first trackday at Thunder Hill Raceway I was sucking up the knowledge of the other riders. I started to notice that I was being asked the same question throughout the day "Isn't that a touring bike? As if this was not a bike that belongs on a race track. Throughout the day I would stay out longer and longer during my sections. I found out that I improved my lap time by almost 34 seconds. That was a unbelevable accomplishment for me. At the end of the day most of the guys that I talk to went to the Beer party where all the days stories came out and the lap times were shared. When I shared my times the question was "On a sport touring bike!" Answer- Yes it is a ST and next week I will be doing a 2 day 450+ mile ride in total comfort. Point being the ST4s is the most versatile bike ever made and to part with it would be a horrible loss to sell it for you. Save your $$$ and clean your garage for two motorcycles.

·
Registered
749 Posts
RocketJohn said:
I test rode a 999 and then the Sport1000 and found the Sport1000 to be noticably more comfortable... not VFR like but definitely more acceptable for everyday cafe racing... plus its easy to get risers on the Sport1000 b/c of no fairing to get in the way...
It is slightly more upright versus the Paul Smart, noted here in this press clipping:

With a solo seat and clip-ons, the Sport looks low, lean and ready for a ride in the twisties. The clip-ons on the Sport have, however, been raised about 20 mm compared to the Paul Smart for a slightly more relaxed position.

but those clip-ons sure look low versus the seat height...

But as you note... plenty of room to raise them up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
st2lemans said:
The Paul Smart is ergonomically identical to my SS. And my ST is close, as it has clipons and rearsets.

Tom
Oh no it's not. The Smart, like my Sport 1000, has a much longer reach to much lower bars with a higher (read more weight on wrists) rear end. The ergos do not resemble the SS' much, if at all.

Don't get me wrong: I love my Sport. But the PS, with bars even lower than mine, is definitely not a great choice for sport touring. It is, however, lust-worthy in the extreme.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Several guys in my area have the PS or Sport1000 and they are all ready for a break from riding after an hour.

There is no comparison between the ST series and the PS or Sport1000. All of them are cool to look at and to own. But to put down some miles, sorry the ST, any of the models, wins.

Dave Harhay

1 - 20 of 32 Posts