Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Hi there,

Not really sure what you are trying to end up with, but your ST4S already has the best rear suspension / swing arm set up of all the ST series, but if you want go the single sided route, that can be done also.

Have a look for Dandruc's thread on his naked version of his ST2

Craig

·
Registered
588 Posts
your ST4S already has the best rear suspension / swing arm set up of all the ST series

Craig
Agreed. And, if you fall into the camp of simply leaving the panniers on the bike... kind of nullifies, in part, the look folks are going for with a single sided swingarm conversion.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was also thinking along the lines of

Ducati 749 Rear Swingarm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-749-Re...rkparms=65:12|66:4|39:1|72:1689|293:1|294:200

just as a by the by, will a single sided 748/916/996 swingarm bolt on, ignoring all other issues including exhaust clearance.

cheers

ps. i did have look at Dandruc's thread on his naked version of his ST2, very fine looking bike and the paint and swingarm look superb.

·
Registered
998 Posts
bolt on duc parts

S2R, S4R, change to a 520 front sprocket. The axle is different than a 1098, smaller wheel std. radius.
I used the monster rear sets[like the visual flow], and a 748 wheel set.
445lbs. wet

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
This question comes up all the time in the Monster and Sport Classic boards.
The Superbike swingarms will NOT bolt up to the ST or Monster. The engine cases on these bikes is wider at the swingarm mounting point than the Superbikes, and unlike the Superbikes, the ST or Monster have the swingarm bearings inside the engine cases, and the swingarm mounts directly to the "axle" at the pivot point.

just as a by the by, will a single sided 748/916/996 swingarm bolt on, ignoring all other issues including exhaust clearance.
The single side swing arm (SSSA) will NOT easily mount to the ST or Monster, for the same reasons identified above. Lots of folks think about this, but to make it work is expensive and time-consuming.

Metmachex makes an awesome swingarm, the primary advantage of which is the way the rear wheel axle is adjusted. Take a look at their web site. I think they have a distributor or two in the States, so the option is there if you're interested. Cost I think is about $1400. It is a direct replacement for the stock arm (which is really pretty good, as someone noted earlier).

Another (much more expensive) option, if you're dying for a SSSA, is an Italian company called Febur, which made the SSSA for the 916/748 series bikes. They make a version that will fit the ST and Monster. I think Motowheels can help you in this area. Wait time might be an issue as well, as they are pretty much custom-made.

As Danrduc noted above, if you want an inexpensive, bolt-on SSSA, the unit from the Monster S2R/S4R bikes would be a direct fit, and you would just need to get a new rear wheel assembly and you would be in luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi and thank you

you see, as i said i'm was thinking metmachex, i know it's a lot of cash, but i also didn't want to shell out for one, just to see an st4s with a standard 749 swingarm on in for the guy to say "yes got if off ebay for 100 pounds just changed the wheel spacers"

if i do go metmachex (but i'd love a top brace on it), i"ll post pics of install.

as for the best swingarm combo for the st4s, well that is as maybe, but bikes and riders have moved on.

please note: for me the St4s is the best real world road bike ever, if honda had made a vfr1000fv then that would be another story but they didn't. another note: inline fours suck, no matter how fast they are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts