Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm...

After a month’s trouble free motoring, suddenly my 03 St4s issued forth a very mechanically sounded banging noise upon start up. Sounded like metal to me First time I rocked it gently, then she started fine and ran as normal. However, tried again when home and the deaded noise was back. Sounded like it was coming from starter set up, inside LH crank case so stripped that down. Everything looks fine, with last visual check to do on sprag. Have removed circlip holding sprag in place but ithe sprag assembly doesn’t seem to want to come out of the housing it sits in. Wondering if I’m missing a trick here - apart from requisite mechanical knowledge!

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hmmm...

After a month’s trouble free motoring, suddenly my 03 St4s issued forth a very mechanically sounded banging noise upon start up. Sounded like metal to me First time I rocked it gently, then she started fine and ran as normal. However, tried again when home and the deaded noise was back. Sounded like it was coming from starter set up, inside LH crank case so stripped that down. Everything looks fine, with last visual check to do on sprag. Have removed circlip holding sprag in place but ithe sprag assembly doesn’t seem to want to come out of the housing it sits in. Wondering if I’m missing a trick here - apart from requisite mechanical knowledge!

Regards

Rob
I had a similar alarming noise when trying to coax my 999 back to life.
I had already done a fair bit of stuff beforehand but afterwards, I changed the crank position sensor and bought the necessary gizmo and lead to do a tps reset.
It cost less then £50.00 for the lot.

All is now back to normal with no apparent harm done, in fact it's running better then ever with better starting, smoother idling, smoother running and more power.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
you often need to "wind" the sprag out. unless it's really rooted, in which case bits of broken spring might be jamming it all up.

well, before that, have you removed the ring from the flywheel? the sprag goes into the bolted in ring that is also a press fit of sorts into the flywheel. there's a lip on the inner side flange of the sprag that stops it coming out.

unless none of that is what you're asking about. the circlip is sort of redundant - the new sprags don't even have them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you often need to "wind" the sprag out. unless it's really rooted, in which case bits of broken spring might be jamming it all up.

well, before that, have you removed the ring from the flywheel? the sprag goes into the bolted in ring that is also a press fit of sorts into the flywheel. there's a lip on the inner side flange of the sprag that stops it coming out.

unless none of that is what you're asking about. the circlip is sort of redundant - the new sprags don't even have them.
Thank you

That lines up with what I'm seeing. Further deconstruction required in order to remove sprag. Tonight's job

Cheers

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts