Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I' m about to change my spark plugs because I fried them! Which spark plugs you found out to be best for 2002 Ducati ST4s?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Mike -

Corse1's absolutely correct about the iridium, but as will all good things, there's a little catch.

First is that the iridium really want to be gaped at a larger gap - about .35in. Here's the rundown on the deal: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/80-hall-wisdom/31417-platinum-iridium-sparkplugs.html

Second, most OEM plug wires don't do well with the increased electrical voltage of the iridium, and they can even give worse performance than OEM if not correctly matched with plug wires. Some of the guys here have had good luck with the TPO wires: https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_34&product_id=45 I don't know if TPO deals with Europe easily, but my choice was Magnacor: Magnecor Race Wires They say they do have a European distributor, or maybe there's another company with a similar product there. I'm very happy with the Magnacor product, and it gives me a confidence that, whatever the ST4s throws me, the plugs and wires aren't part of the problem.

Good hunting.

Ron

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Correct Ron. I gapped mine to 0.9mm or 0.036" I think you must have missed a "0"!! I have never touched the plug wires and they remain OEM. Might have to get a set. Is that 39.90 for two leads or one?

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I have details of the UK retailer if that helps anybody.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Gapped my iridium's to 1 mm, starts a lot better! The smaller electrode means they will spark a bigger gap than normal. :)

Sent from my LT26i using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
From TPO? That's for both.

Also, you could take your wires to an autoparts store and compare lengths and connectors. Folks say a kit of high quality v8 wires are less than Duc specific parts.

Have a good one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts