Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the good fortune of picking up a complete ST4s aluminum swingarm assy and Ohlins rear shock which I have added to my 04 ST3 and was wondering if one of you 4s owners could help me out with the mounting location of the preload adjuster (looks like it mounts behind the rear footpeg hanger somehow but my stock hanger bolt is too short and doesn't have a securing nut to mount behind the preload assy bracket)?? Also, where does the gas canister bolt up to (I'm clueless on this one)?

Thanks for the assistance...

Matt

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow-up for ya Tom

Can you tell me if you have a longer bolt securing the preload adjuster than that found on the other side of the foot bracket? Also. is there a nut on the back side of the mounting plate to secure it?

Finally, I'm a bit faked out by the gas canister on my unit. It has a bracket on it with two holes roughly 1" apart, so it would seem that there is a designed mounting point somewhere on the frame or other item off of the frame.

BTW... very nice looking bike you have there. Lord knows you've got a ton of $ in the back end alone.

Matt

·
Registered
288 Posts
There are some pics in this directory:

http://www.cs.xu.edu/~ryanr/ST4s/rear_suspension/

They are from my 2003 ST4s.

The preload adjuster mounts to a bracket behind the passenger peg mount. The one is blurry, but I think you can make out the bracket. I apologize, but I don't know the lengths of the bolts.

The reservoir is mounted to the frame. There's a band around it and the band is bolted to a tab on the frame. The reservoir itself sits in the (usually) empty space in the rear bodywork.

If you're adventurous, try to find the parts diagrams for the ST4s. They will have the exploded views of things. I know they are (were?) on the Ducati site and BikeBandit.com has some pretty good diagrams.

-Bob

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
God luv ya, Bob...

... the pics are exactly what I was looking for.

Matt

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
mcd said:
Can you tell me if you have a longer bolt securing the preload adjuster than that found on the other side of the foot bracket? Also. is there a nut on the back side of the mounting plate to secure it?
Bolt is stock, bracket is between footpeg bracket and frame, so no nut needed. Just remove the front bolt, loosen the rear bolt, install plate, install bolt, and tighten both.

mcd said:
Finally, I'm a bit faked out by the gas canister on my unit. It has a bracket on it with two holes roughly 1" apart, so it would seem that there is a designed mounting point somewhere on the frame or other item off of the frame.
Normally it goes under the RH cover below the seat. I wanted the storage space, and easy access to the adjuster, so mine is mounted on the frame rail between the rider and passenger brackets.

mcd said:
BTW... very nice looking bike you have there. Lord knows you've got a ton of $ in the back end alone.
Also the front. And that picture was taken befor the heads got done by MBP.

Tom

·
Registered
403 Posts
ryanr256 said:
There are some pics in this directory:

http://www.cs.xu.edu/~ryanr/ST4s/rear_suspension/

They are from my 2003 ST4s.

The preload adjuster mounts to a bracket behind the passenger peg mount. The one is blurry, but I think you can make out the bracket. I apologize, but I don't know the lengths of the bolts.

The reservoir is mounted to the frame. There's a band around it and the band is bolted to a tab on the frame. The reservoir itself sits in the (usually) empty space in the rear bodywork.

If you're adventurous, try to find the parts diagrams for the ST4s. They will have the exploded views of things. I know they are (were?) on the Ducati site and BikeBandit.com has some pretty good diagrams.

-Bob

There is one SHCS that is longer than the others used to bolt the footrest assemblies to the frame and it is M8 x 1.25 x 45mm. It goes where the stock preload adjuster is bolted up. The others only had a couple of threads holding the passenger footrests into the frame. I have replaced these four with M8 x 1.25 x 25mm from the 20mm that came on my 2003 ST4s.

What can I say, its winter and the bike gets real clean this time of the year.

Dave Harhay

·
Site Sponsor & Senior Member
193 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry guys, I was not speaking about the reservoir in my last post as you were. I guess I had a little too much coffee that morning.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many Thanks Guys!

The new rearend is in place.

Andrew,

Very nicely done and certainly looks a whole lot easier to make your suspension adjustments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts