Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last season I got a starter issue (he did not want to turn off), after disassembly it turned out that the starter is full of motor oil and the commutator(?) is in a deplorable condition. I bought a brand new replacement (WAI 19876N). Today I mounted everything to the pile but there is a problem, I do not want to spin and when I do it he did slowly only half turn and then it stands. I connected the car battery to exclude weak battery, but no effect. I can spin the wheel in 6th gear, so I do not block the shaft. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Last season I got a starter issue (he did not want to turn off), after disassembly it turned out that the starter is full of motor oil and the commutator(?) is in a deplorable condition. I bought a brand new replacement (WAI 19876N). Today I mounted everything to the pile but there is a problem, I do not want to spin and when I do it he did slowly only half turn and then it stands. I connected the car battery to exclude weak battery, but no effect. I can spin the wheel in 6th gear, so I do not block the shaft. Any suggestions?
Test the starter off the bike to make sure it's good.

Turn the motor by hand to make sure there are no interference issues. ("I can spin the wheel in 6th gear") You may have done this.

Reinstall starter properly and try again. If no go, check voltage output at regulator.

No mention of seals to exclude oil from starter. Check that.

If English is not your first language, run post content through Google translator before posting. I'm inferring a lot here...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for my language, yesterday I was little tired and angry after a few hours "fight" with my St4s. When I assembled the starter, I turned engine by hand and all was ok (like for me), only compression. Now with "cold" head, I think that was this symptom like was with old starter, this mean that was changed starter but still is exactly this same issue with this same symptom. I connected battery straight to starter (I used car battery) but starter still don't had enough power to crank. I bought completely new not rebuild starter so I exclude problem with starter, was this same symptom with old one. In first diagnosis I found oil in old starter and this starter is in the trash now.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would be checking your starter cables including the earth cable, make sure you have good clean connection and cables in good condition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I eliminated electrical wirings problems, I connected battery straight to + on starter and ground by engine, I was used thick start-up cables but still this same effect.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ok, what about the starter one-way clutch? Is it possible it's slipping?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes is only click and nothing happens, sometimes engine did half maybe one turn but really slowly. If was be broken one way clutch, should be hear that starter working but not turn the engine yes?

·
Registered
313 Posts
sparag spring worn / broken

DUCATI SPRAG SPRING FOR STARTER CLUTCH / SPRAG BEARING SPRING NEW made in uk
Item number: 264141121678
mike uk

sparg works one way so mark the face with tipp ex first before you remove it from the flyhweel best to have a flywheel lock tool

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ok
Remove both plugs and switch on hit start button engine will turn over as no compression don't do this for to long as you can damage the working face of the sprag bearing if the sprag spring is worn
Mike

you know that the engine is hit and miss this will let you hear the engine spin up or not

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ok, Im confused, you said that you jumped with a good car battery and heavy leads straight to starter Yes?
If so there would be no click because you have bypassed the starter solonoid and wiring from solonoid to starter. If not these components need to be checked. I also think you really need to check what voltage the battery you are testing with drops to while cranking, otherwise the battery might just be flat. Minimum voltage while cranking is 10V.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Maybe I have not written it clearly enough, when battery was connected by motorcycle installation was clicks and sometimes did half or one turn. When I connected straight to starter then nothing happen or half or one turn. Allways turns is very slowly without chance to start the engine.

Did it possible to clutch starter stuck and this is a reason that starter turning slowly?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ok, since you have stated the engine turns over freely and assuming you're battery and leads are good the remaining possiblities are a faulty starter motor or slipping one way sprag clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts