Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao....this my first post and I'd like to add Ducati.MS has been truly valuable in my efforts to maintain my first Ducati. Where I live sometimes is referred to as the black hole of Ducati maintenance. A big thank to all who contribute.

Here's the issue. I replaced the battery and went to start the bike and there was complete silence....nice. Checked all the obvious possibilities. Took the key out, put the key back in, turned to on, pressed the starter.....nothing. What the heck. Turned it off and walked away. After a few minutes I gave it another go and the bike fired right up. You gotta to be kidding me. Sounded great. I'd prefer not have this be the typical starting protocol. First thought, it's the starter but there wasn't even a hint of current going to the starter. Kill switch? Neutral switch? Ignition? Anti-theft? Thoughts/advice are welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Guess I would take hard look at all connections you just made at battery terminals , either way I would take them all off and give everything a good cleaning, after re-connecting it all give all those connections a nice protective coating of dialectric grease .... once I had similar issue after re-installing battery , turned out it was the ground to battery wire so maybe pay close attention to both ends of that particular wire .... good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brutus72, That's a good place to start....no pun intended. I've a got a tube of silicone dielectric grease that should do the job. But first I'll clean the wire terminals and posts for through job. If it works how excellent, a simple solution to an annoying/problematic situation. Ill let you know how it worked out. It's the top of my priorities for tomorrows projects. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
so when you turn the key on all the dash and electrics come on, and the fuel pump runs for a short period?

does the orange light on the dash flash then stay on or go off?

then you press the start button and nothing happens?

what year is it? if it's early the little while connector on the back of the starter solenoid might have backed out.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Could be lots of things, i would start with the starter solenoid - if it does it again give it a wack. Then move to the large connector on the LH top side for a good inspection back and front and clean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Morning All, Obviously oxidation is not our friend. The plan is to clean contacts starting with the battery and then to the solenoid, etc.,followed by a slathering of dielectric grease. I do have a question about the "wack" Johnny referred to. Would that be with a 8mm or 24mm wrench open or box end?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Curious as to wether you got your ST going or are things worse than suggested , thanks for update , helps us all to share what ever you may have learned

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HI Brutus, We must be on a similar wavelength. I was considering adding to this post after today's escapades in hopes of advise. After cleaning the battery terminals and all the connectors I coated each with silicone dialectical grease. Since it was a nice day the fairing got put back on and i went for a pleasant outing. The following day I suited up, walked over to the bike, turned the key to on, pushed in the start button...... dead silence. Come on!!! it's gotta start. After taking the key out, waiting, engaging the start button then repeating the process 5 or 6 times the bike started. Off I went to run several errands and the bike started flawlessly after each stop. Today, on the first attempt it turned over but didn't start. Each time the start button was depressed the engine would turn over and on the last attempt barely turning over it fired up. Got the bike up to temp, shut it off, went to start it...........you guessed it, dead silence. I then disassembled the starter switch to take a peek and give it a clean. Looked okay, bench tested it with an OHM meter through 50 cycles and it tested consistently good. It retrospect I could have tested it at the plug but i needed to satisfy my curiosity. I'd like to check the leads/connects to the solenoid but am not familiar as to how to remove the protective cover.

Is this an ECU issue? Does the computer think the bike is being stolen? You would think that if you take your key over to a bike place it in the ignition, turn it to on, press the start button, "something" should happen. Instead I'm given the silent treatment. The bike has exhibited the same set of behaviors from the first day I bought it in October of 2019.

She's a 2003 ST4s in red. A pleasure to ride when she makes up her mind to start.

Any suggestions as to why those electrons are missing their mark, are more than welcomed. Thanks for checking up on the situation Brutus.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Check your wiring diagram, see if there is more than one ground point, if so, make sure they are all clean and tight. Push every connector on the bike back together from both sides. Sometimes the wire pulls back a little and makes a poor connection. I pulled every one on my bike, cleaned them, and made sure they fit snugly. Lubed them all too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The saga continues. I ordered a manual from desmotimes assuming there will be a wiring diagram (hopefully in color). Cleaned and mounted starter switch, checked ground by rear brake reservoir it tested fine with a good ground throughout the bike. Tapped the starter button.....bingo...contact 3 more times and there was a good connection to the starter each time. I did not start the bike. It remains on the lift awaiting that single silent moment that will allow the testing of current to the solenoid. That's all I have for now. I will continue to repeat the above throughout the days to come.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The source of the of the intermittent starting issue has been discovered. It's the ignition switch. I contacted the previous owner this past weekend, mentioned the issue and his response was "oh yah, just jiggle the key back and forth when it does that. I had it in the shop and they said spray electrical contact cleaner in where the key goes." Today I contacted the same Ducati shop, talked with the mechanic and he said a new ignition switch would need a new "computer under the dash" and "before ordering a switch try spraying contact cleaner in the switch". Only a guess but the contact cleaner does not seem like a fix. New ignition switch, new keys etc.. There are other suggestions in the archived posts that are helpful. I have not found a post that clearly states a tried and true solution that does not require a new security transponder/immobilizer. A reliable starting protocol that is reasonable priced is my goal. In the meantime I'll ride the bike with it's idiosyncratic tendencies and enjoy the ride. Suggestions are welcome and thanks to all for their previous posts.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
From memory I think new key means new immobilizer and CPU. Probably north of 2K USD from a dealer. There are guys who can disable the Immobilizer in the ECU. You may want to check the ignition key wires and connection up behind the airbox too. It is tight in there and vulnerable. Rear airbox nut is a pig to get at!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My guess is, this is the 58M processor? Try connecting with software and reset the faults, then see if it cranks.

I tripped a fault when the battery got low on my 2002, and it also tripped the immobilizer. grr... I replaced the ECU and deleted the lines for the immobilizer.

I can't say for sure, but I wonder if the issue was, the Shorai battery; on the road, it would never charge fully, only when left on the (Shorai) charger. I logged hours of running with the charge rate at 13.3V, which is probably fine for a lead-acid. Problem then is, after a week or two on the road, state of battery charge keeps dropping, the bike cranks more slowly each morning, then throws the ignition coil faults, which must be reset with software or it won't start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm sorry about your issue. These are really great riding machines! I like the idea of buying a new ignition switch and having it re-keyed to your original keys. Especially if you have the red key. Also disabling the immobilizer is ok. It's not really useful, imo. Most motorcycles that are stolen are just picked up and carried away. And then sold for parts. Very few have people jamming tools into the ignition, breaking the lock and then starting and riding away anyways. Hopefully you get it sorted soon!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I may have new made in China ignition switch in shed , came with a knockoff fuel cap I ordered couple years .... you are welcome to for shipping expense ....
Craig

1 - 20 of 29 Posts