Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Light just went out. It works fine when theres light but it wont light up in the dark as used to. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I think someone else in this ST section was having some issues with his light. It's a EL backlit panel (EL = Electro Luminescent). If it were mine, I'd start by removing the nose fairing, and uprooting the gauge cluster, and look for loose or corroded connections on the LCD box.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello
I'd also start prowling eBay. Those bastids are notoriously unreliable. I'm on my third one on my '03 4s. The first two were kind enough to die under warranty at least. The third one has been working like a trooper for 35K-40K miles.
(Knock on Formica wood-like countertop)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Also on my 3rd one here. the light is not serviceable. I found a new used model on ebay got it, installed it, now it thinks it is in europe! Reads in C vs F. Oh well, I like the metric system better anyway.

The newer models can reset to either metric or our archaic system.

Mark

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also on my 3rd one here. the light is not serviceable. I found a new used model on ebay got it, installed it, now it thinks it is in europe! Reads in C vs F. Oh well, I like the metric system better anyway.

The newer models can reset to either metric or our archaic system.

Mark
Well thanks but that kind of sucks. IT works great just no backlight anymore.

Did yours ever go blank?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this in case someone hasnt seen it.

http://www.ducati-st4s.gotdns.com/Maintenance and Issues.htm

I think Ill try and see if its as easy to fix as this one was. Heck after looking at it, I think just pulling your working one and sealing the back so moisture stays out might keep you from loosing it at least.

I have had some dashboard repair at modulemaster.com I am sending them the info. Id like to know if they could fix it.

Its worth a try since its only going to get harder to fix or replace.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tool the LCD apart ad it was clean with no moisture. Wiped it down but still no backlight. I sealed it back up and put it back in.

Modulemaster wrote me back

Here's what module master said.

After Biketoberfest I will take it off and send it to them.

Hi Mario,

We haven't done this repair before, but we can certainly take a look at it. There's no charge if we cannot repair it other than return shipping. If it's simply the backlighting, chances are very good we can fix it.

Thanks,
Will B
ModuleMaster

·
Registered
91 Posts
Result?

Mario, what ever happened with the backlit LCD. mine is also out and i wonder if the guy you caontacted is still around.

Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mario, what ever happened with the backlit LCD. mine is also out and i wonder if the guy you caontacted is still around.

Thanks
Hi
I ended up finding one used and its been fine ever since.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The failure of LCD backlight bulbs is not just a Ducati issue, just had to strip the entire dash of a Renault to replace 2 of these done by a garage not much more than a month ago! These small [2mm diameter max] pin bulbs don't like voltage spikes at all. I have found that if you fit a higher wattage bulb they actually last longer but the panel can be distractingly bright at night. Quick fix is a strip of "smoked" film [like the stuff used for blacking out your pimpmobile windows] over the screen. Better is to put a small resistor in the feed, even better is adding a capacitor to the circuit. Talk to a local trusted auto-electrician if you are not as geeky as me! Seriously the unit should be as damp-proof as possible and with a very clean Earth/Ground connection to 'smooth' the current. Off back to Anorak Towers now, Cheers Rik

·
Registered
2004 ST4s
9 Posts
Looking for any more recent info on this issue (dash back light out). Did anyone ever find a shop that would perform this repair if sent the dash?
Much thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts